English A1 vs Estonian A1

annap

I have to choose between English A1 and Estonian A1. Estonian is my mother tongue, therefore the exam would be easy. Also I've heard that the lessons are more fun than in the English class. Although I've learned English for 10 years and I speak it fluently, still the exam would be a bit harder for me. But in the future I would like to go to a British university. I have looked at some requirements of universities and English isn't required (I would like to study biosciences). But I've thought that may be they prefer students who have taken English (most of our class is taking English). If I take English A1, it would be easier to prove to the university that I speak English. What shall I do?

No, English isn't a requirement, and doing the programme itself in English should be enough to prove that you speak the language well enough to use it in university. I did Finnish A1 myself (although I did study English A2) and had no problems whatsoever in uni admissions. Also, if I recall correctly from looking at statistics, candidates for Estonian A1 generally did very well in their exams, so the teacher in your school (I think there's only one in Estonia) ought to be decent.

So, take whichever you want, but not choosing A1 English won't disadvantage you in any way.

Estonian>English. English is just common and boring.

But in more serious terms, Estonian has a higher average than English. English, Italian and Spanish have some of the lowest averages according to the IBO 2010 statistics, the rarer the language the better they do. For instance, in Albanian the average is 7 because everybody get's 7s. And if I recall correctly Estonian in SL had an average of over 6 just like Japanese SL. And so for this reason alone you should do Estonian. Plus you get to come across as cool on this forum because you're "unique".

And the poster above is a 100% right.

Edited by Bishup