Preparation for Maths HL

MariusIBDP

I am starting IBDP next year and I am taking Mathematics on the Higher Level. My Maths background is quite strong, but I do not think that it is strong enough for Higher Level. I want to prepare for it during the summer,so I want to ask you - what should I revise, what should be known before entering this course, actually anything that would help me to prepare for it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hmmmm. Well, Maths HL is quite tough, I assure you. You need to have a basic knowledge of simultaneous equations and you need to be fairly good at Maths (that's a given!).

I'm doing it now, and I'm finding it slightly challenging. The concepts are easy enough to understand, but it's all about applying the concepts, thinking in a more creative way (which I've yet to master myself) to do well in the ultimate exam.

One thing you may wish to do, is get yourself a Graphical calculator, and familiarise yourself with it. Familiarise yourself with the functions, the ins and outs, the tips and tricks by perhaps doing a google search or any other method of your choosing so that when you have your first lessons, you won't need to worry about struggling to get to grips with the calculator.

In that sense, you'll be ahead of the class.

Just do some general practice, and I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Edited by nametaken
  • Like 1

You should have a good knowledge on Maths which is obvious but also, a mental ability to solve theorems or prove something and for that, you need to practice a lot first and then you'll know how to.

However, my best advice is before you do anything for the IB Maths, do for the Maths you've been learning until now. It's very important that you know everything and dominate every single point of your core to do well in Maths HL. I had to change from HL to SL because I didn't have such a strong basis as I should have and that made me do stupid mistakes but, at the same time, not to fully understand every concept.

Did not thought about familiarizing with Graphical calculator. Thanks :)

So, basically what you are saying is - revise everything? Maybe there is ant site where there is a list of things which should be known before maths HL?

Yes, revise everything. Uhmm I don't know lol it's too specific, what pre-IB course did you take?

But you have to have knowledge in functions, trigonometry, geometry, basic operating calculations, equations, inequalities - something like that ;)

You should get a textbook, or revise the first points of the syllabus.. That way you'll be ahead of the others!

Hi, I've gotten my textbook already, but I can't seem to find the syllabus... Do you know where I can get the syllabus?

You should get a textbook, or revise the first points of the syllabus.. That way you'll be ahead of the others!

Hi, I've gotten my textbook already, but I can't seem to find the syllabus... Do you know where I can get the syllabus?

The syllabus is on this website under the files section or google "ib mathematics hl syllabus" and it should be the first hit. Taking a look at the presumed knowledge section. Knowing everything listed is a very good idea to prepare yourself.

Edited by master135

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...