English B HL in English universities

miha

My question is: do English universities count English B HL as an ordinary HL subject?

I take 4 HL subjects, and one of them is English B HL which is quite easy, and I will probably get 7. So, will the universities look at it as a normal subject or not, or will they even overlook it and look at other three subjects that I take at the higher level?

Thanks a lot for reply.

• 1 month later...

To be honest, I'm not quite certain. However I know that UK universities do not know a lot about IB or really understand the clear differences between A1, A2 and B.

On the other hand, I also think to a certain extent it depends on your personal background and definitely on what you want to study at uni. If you're interested in the social sciences, which require much reading and writing, they may prefer A1 or A2. However if you're more oriented towards maths and science, I don't see why it would be a problem as long you get good marks. =)

• Like 1

If you're interested in the social sciences, which require much reading and writing, they may prefer A1 or A2. However if you're more oriented towards maths and science, I don't see why it would be a problem as long you get good marks. =)

I agree with that ^

But also if you're applying to the UK as an international student, often times they ask you to take the IELTS or TOEFL exam. At my old school, because I held a passport from a non-English speaking country I had to give the IELTS or I wouldn't graduate, it was non-negotiable even though I was in English A1 HL. It turned out to be useful because I sent those grades to all my Unis whether they asked for it or not and they didn't have any misgivings about my English-speaking abilities.

Best of luck,

Arrowhead.

• 2 months later...
May English B HL be a problem when applying to Law? (I have also Polish A1 SL so...) What was it like with LSE?

I dunno if it was a problem with LSE or not, I sent my IELTS grades in regardless. Trust me, it had nothing to do with applying for Law, it was just a necessary precaution so that nothing would eventually come up. Of course, me being in English A1 HL ensured that if anything ever came up, it wouldn't really matter, but this just forestalled it. I would image that English B HL might cause a problem. A friend of mine (same IB school) did English B HL, when he applied to Regent's Business School he was told that seeing as he was in English B, he would have to take his IELTS, if the score was high enough, then he wouldn't have to do a foundation year. His IELTS score wasn't high enough and he finished his foundation year last year, he applied for Business.

Again, if your English is good enough, then whether you're in Engligh B, A2, or A1, it doesn't really make a difference. The testing is a little pricey but people do it the world-over and it just saves a lot of unnecessary questions from being answered when you have the documentation and certificates to prove your English speaking skills.

Just a suggestion for one course of action, you can do as you like and you might not face any trouble whatsoever, this is more of a precautionary measure than anything else.

Cheers,

Arrowhead.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 1