Past IB students - math results?

nik_20

I'm just curious on what grade and score you got or are hoping to get for Math HL.

Also, what was your average tests results and how much time you spend studying on math per week?

Edited by Keel
Image removed

Haha, I remember the task that you attached! :D

I hope to have a 5 or 6. My predicted grade was 5, but mosts of my tests weren't graded higher than 4 :P On July 5th everything will be sure...

Now I know that I studied too little for math. I only used to make my homework and read a bit from my textbook when I really didn't get something. However when there was like 2 months left to the exams I started seriously studying - I spent over 3 hours right every day for myath revision. Now,seeing the results of such systhematic work, I regret not doing it for whole two years of the IB....

I know that my brother got a 5 two years ago.

I am aiming for a 7, I try to do as much study as I can, essentially doing all the questions I can from the textbook and past papers.

That being said, my brother didn't do too much study and still got a 5, although he had a tutor for one hour a week, and I don't, I think that really improved his grade, so consider getting one if you want to improve your mark. Although his tutor was really good, I don't know if an average tutor would be able to teach everything in the HL course well, considering its difficulties.

My predicted grade is a 6 but I am really really hoping for a 7!!!

I did well in paper 2 & 3 but I totally messed up paper 1 so I doubt that I will achieve the 7 :(

Last year i.e. in IB1, my life was basically Math HL. There probably wasn't a day in the week in which I didn't solve maths (my maths teacher gave us lots of homework!) and there were at least 3 days in which I did nothing but maths! I can't tell you how much exactly I spent on maths but it would probably be something close to 20 hours...

It was mostly solving that I did (from my textbook IBID) but I also spent sometime preparing summaries for myself etc. (were extremely useful this year!)

The amount of time I spent on math definitely got less and less by IB2. I had lots of IA piling up and was late in both the EE & the TOK essay :S I almost stopped solving maths & i remember that it was when we were taking integration (we don't follow the exact order) when I was ignoring maths the most and until my final exam I had a major problem in integration (A major reason why I screwed up P1, I saved myself before P2 though and spent the whole night before

Anyway...sorry for going on for so long. Basically what I am trying to say is that math HL does needs you to spend lots of time each week. The key to MHL is lots and lots of practice!

My level went from a 7 last year to a 6 (not a high one either) this year :(

I did solve lots of past papers before the exams though and by the time for the exam I have gotten very familiar to the style of question & all..

Definitely dreading 6th of July still (or the 5th, not sure yet if our coordinater will call us :S)

GOOD LUCK to you ;)

Edited by n0urhan

• 3 weeks later...

I was a grade 4 student in my first year and actually until my mocks int he final year. I started solving alot of question from my textbook after the mocks: the red one fabios. Which helped me alot, and one month before the exams I did math HL exams of the last 10 years. And I somehow managed to get a 6 and more surprisingly missed a 7 by 4 percent!!!

So what I want to say you dont have to be Einstein in math to get a 6, just work hard and solve questions on a regular basis like 3-4 months before the exam :)

Hope it helps !!