How subjects are implemented in an IB school?

berbelk

Hi, my school offers few IB subjects as my teachers say "this is a young school which is not prepared to offer Math HL". I would like to include Maths Hl in my curriculum, I have in my mind all the necessary changes to meet ALL the requirements to get the certificate. However, my tutor insists that it is impossible to offer Math Hl as the IB organization would not authorise my school as the process to get authorised is really hard. Which are the requirements so that an school could offer certain subjet? Does my school have to undergo an evaluation process or is it just reponsability of the student to choose any subject of the curriculum regardless of the resources available at his school?

Hi, my school offers few IB subjects as my teachers say "this is a young school which is not prepared to offer Math HL". I would like to include Maths Hl in my curriculum, I have in my mind all the necessary changes to meet ALL the requirements to get the certificate. However, my tutor insists that it is impossible to offer Math Hl as the IB organization would not authorise my school as the process to get authorised is really hard. Which are the requirements so that an school could offer certain subjet? Does my school have to undergo an evaluation process or is it just reponsability of the student to choose any subject of the curriculum regardless of the resources available at his school?

Hi Berbelk,

Unfortunately I believe very few members will be able to answer this question as it both involves your school's own internal policy and that of the IBO. Sometimes it is not your choice what subjects you choose to take due to various reasons ranging from the school's timetable system to the resources available to the school. There may be some truth in that schools are required to gain permission from the IB before they provide a course but I doubt anyone here can confirm that for you. You are better off contacting the IB directly to find out what their policy is (http://www.ibo.org/contact/index.cfm). You probably would also want to ask whether it is possible that you apply for the subject and use your school as an examination center but take the subject externally (not with the school). Of course this will require the approval of your school first.

I believe it is just an excuse for your school not to offer Math HL. They don't want to do it for some reason (probably because it is a hard subject) and simply blame it without on IB. I do not see any reason why IBO would not let your school teach Math HL, as much as I know any IBO school (which your school definitely is) can offer exams in any of the IB subjects.

As Keel said, contact IB, and if you are right just take a parent and go to the headmaster, and everything will work out.

Thank you, Keel and Miha, your answers were very useful. I´m waiting for a response on the part of the IB. I hope that as you said, everything works out. I´ll let you know if IB responds, just in case there is anyone in the same situation.

Hey, i have the same problem with you.. So well here's my story:

I took History SL for one month, but then i realized that almost all the universities out of my country required 2 sciences, i had one, Physics SL, but i didn't have the other one.. So i talked to the principal (IB Coordinator), and he said that if i was willing to do Chemistry, i could do it. He got me a professor, and we are doing the course! He said that he signs up the students in the end of IB1, so i think that there's no problem..

I don't know about the case of Maths HL, i guess it's because it's so difficult and such.

Hope this helped! Good luck! :)