Biology Extended Essay Help

Sharp

Hey guys :)

So I have to start brainstorming my extended essay topic and I have loosely chosen something along the lines of following the evolution of a certain group of bones that have been developped specifically for a function of human locomotion (probably the spinal region.)

I know it's a bit lacking in the experimental data section but I've been told by my IB coordinator as well as a possible mentor that as long as I formulate an argument, then a research paper will be fine. I've read here that most people who do research papers fall short, but I'd like to know if it's even vaguely possible to do well with a research paper? I'm up for the challenge lol.

Any ideas on how to possibly add some experimental data in here? If I get x-rays somehow (not online, actual x-rays), would this be considered experimental data? Could I maybe do a comparison between the gender evolution of the spinal cord? Does anyone have any ideas on how to get some anonymous x-rays from my doctor or local hospital maybe? lol I doubt it, but maybe a university would be willing to supply some? Does it matter that I didn't x-ray them myself?

Haha I'm wondering if maybe I should just do English, but I'd really enjoy doing this EE and I feel as if I could do it well.

I'd honestly tell you that it is a crazy idea...! lol

You see, unless you know that you've got the resources you need, you shouldn't do anything more complicated. What I mean is, if you've got any known person like inside a uni or hospital, it's a lot easier to do stuff you won't be allowed to do as a stranger. Not even in a uni... In a uni, you'd have to contact a professor and explain him/her your EE and then, see if (s)he agrees. Maybe (s)he's got a better research question for you, who knows?

The thing is that there are loads of things you can do and you don't need to literally kill yourself to perform those whereas in this, you clearly know that it's going to be demanding and you'll probably just fall short in time. It depends on what you want to achieve: an interesting and self-fulfilling EE or an A... and that is going to determine your choices on the RQ and the rest

It's not a problem if you do a non-experimental investigation as long as you stick to the mark schemes and write it really well which may turn out to be difficult. Specially in a topic like yours...

That's just my opinion, did it help?

Edited by 1529

Hmm I know what you mean, maybe I am overreaching haha.

I do have an aunt who works in a hospital but not in radiology :( I'll ask her anyway though just in case.

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll start brainstorming English RQs as a backup, and I'll also try to get in contact with a uni professor :)