Sign in to follow this  

Doing Twilight for Eng EE, but comparing and contrasting it to Pride and Prejudice

So for my EE English topic I was going to compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of the two main protagonists of Twilight and Pride and Prejudice, two immensely popular novels in the female communities of their time. I was going to compare Bella and Elizabeth, Mr.Darcy and Edward, and then, on the basis that the literature of a time period reflects its society, use the two novels to show how society and its values (especially within the feminine community) has changed from Austen's time to the 21st century. For example, what constitutes the ideal male hero, or what constitutes the ideal female (ex. Elizabeth's independence and intelligence but homely appearance vs. Bella's extreme beauty but dependence on Edward, and what this might indicate).

Problem is, after looking through these forums it seems that the use of popular modern literature is highly discouraged, and the same thing goes for the classics. Is my topic doomed, since I am not only using Twilight an immensely popular modern book, but Pride and Prejudice, one of the all time classics? My supervisor gave me the OK for my topic, but I really want to make sure before I go and read both very long books multiple times, then find out my topic will doom me to a low mark.

What do you guys think?

So for my EE English topic I was going to compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of the two main protagonists of Twilight and Pride and Prejudice, two immensely popular novels in the female communities of their time. I was going to compare Bella and Elizabeth, Mr.Darcy and Edward, and then, on the basis that the literature of a time period reflects its society, use the two novels to show how society and its values (especially within the feminine community) has changed from Austen's time to the 21st century. For example, what constitutes the ideal male hero, or what constitutes the ideal female (ex. Elizabeth's independence and intelligence but homely appearance vs. Bella's extreme beauty but dependence on Edward, and what this might indicate).

Problem is, after looking through these forums it seems that the use of popular modern literature is highly discouraged, and the same thing goes for the classics. Is my topic doomed, since I am not only using Twilight an immensely popular modern book, but Pride and Prejudice, one of the all time classics? My supervisor gave me the OK for my topic, but I really want to make sure before I go and read both very long books multiple times, then find out my topic will doom me to a low mark.

What do you guys think?

That's because most people who try to do EEs on pop cult lit end up choosing silly RQs, but yours actually makes sense - to me at least =P I think it's a very original idea and one that definitely works, as long as you don't try to extrapolate the character differences to societal trends; the markers will expect your EE to be focused on literary techniques, not anthropology. Any English EE that is trying to show how a work "reflects its society" is doomed to a poor grade, regardless of what text is chosen.

So I would recommend just doing a straightforward compare and contrast of those two characters, and perhaps also comparing the different techniques by which the two authors build romance between the two, or their relationships, or something. Stay away from reflecting on society. Start taking some quotes, and see if there's enough there to write on this topic.

What do you guys think?

That's because most people who try to do EEs on pop cult lit end up choosing silly RQs, but yours actually makes sense - to me at least =P I think it's a very original idea and one that definitely works, as long as you don't try to extrapolate the character differences to societal trends; the markers will expect your EE to be focused on literary techniques, not anthropology. Any English EE that is trying to show how a work "reflects its society" is doomed to a poor grade, regardless of what text is chosen.

So I would recommend just doing a straightforward compare and contrast of those two characters, and perhaps also comparing the different techniques by which the two authors build romance between the two, or their relationships, or something. Stay away from reflecting on society. Start taking some quotes, and see if there's enough there to write on this topic.

Thanks so much! I was hoping to leave the references to society for the conclusion of the paper, where I would end with brief synthesis. Would this be ok, as long as I focused on the literary elements throughout the rest of the essay?

And yes, this is an A1 EE.

What do you guys think?

Thanks so much! I was hoping to leave the references to society for the conclusion of the paper, where I would end with brief synthesis. Would this be ok, as long as I focused on the literary elements throughout the rest of the essay?

And yes, this is an A1 EE.

If I recall correctly IB uses additive marking, so as long as you got the analysis earlier, I don't believe you would be docked marks for slipping some reflection into the conclusion (although I'm not sure how much, or if at all, you would gain from it marks-wise.) In addition, the EEs use a rather extensive rubric, so I would just take a quick look-over to make sure you wouldn't be casting doubt in the mind of the marker in any of those rubric categories by doing that.

My only advice on doing an EE (however remotely) to do with Twilight is:

Don't.

Pfft. Don't listen to the naysayer. I think anyone who is trying to find anything of literary value in a trashy novel like Twilight and up against something like Austen's famous Pride and Prejudice is innovative and risqué. Just make sure you stick to the rubric like glue and keep a strictly literary focus throughout. One of my friends did his EE on Harry Potter and he ended up with a really crappy grade because halfway through his essay he started fanboying all over it and that completely ruined his objectivity, which is key for an IB student.

Wow, just... Wow! This is such a brilliant topic! Yes, you should definitely do it! :yes:

I am doing my EE in English lit too (but A2 not A1), and I really had a huge problem with choosing an original topic that would not be cliche or banal. And I really think that finding links between Twilight (which is considered rather bad literature) and Pride and Prejudice (which is a classing) shows a lot of creativity and open-mindness, which I would expect to be valued by the IB. It's a really interesting, good topic, I love it, I would definitely do it if I were you!

Good luck!!! :D