Graphing calculators differences

MariusIBDP

Hey, I want to buy my graphing calculator and I just can't choose. I am surfing the net for it, trying too see the differences, but it is quite hard because of all of the unknown concepts, etc. So,I guess that maybe people from IB survival might be able to tell the differences in the human language :D I am looking at Ti-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver edition and the only thing that is different is Flash ROM and Clock. Flash ROM is very different(480KB &1.5MB). Does it really makes a difference? Also, even though that most of my class will probably have Ti-84/TI-84+, I am looking at those TI-Nspire calculators and they are way better(at least while in statistics), but I am just asking do I really need it, or TI-84 is enough. Anyway, any tips on which calculator to buy or anything about the calculator will be appreciated. Any links would also be helpful.

I was looking at this site http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/nonProductSingle/graphing_course_comparision.html

You don't really need a Ti-Nspire, to be honest. My whole year's got Ti-84 calculators and it's fine. With more advanced calculator's, there's a greater chance of confusion in my opinion in terms of getting to know the necessary functions, because you get a lot of functions and extra stuff which you won't be using.

My school at the beginning of the IB, got us all to buy the same calculator, because ultimately it'd be easier for us and for the teachers to explain how to do certain things- e.g. calculations.

The Ti-84's cool. Stick with it.

what calculator does your teacher use/know very well?

I suggest you to get a calculator that your teacher uses or that many of your classmates use. why? because when you don't know how to use the calculator, there are people who can help you (your teacher and friends). because often times my friends and I don't know how to use some features and our teacher helps us a lot in using the calculator, because the school makes everybody use the same calculator (TI-Nspire).

however if you think you can learn how to use the calculator yourself (or actually you can ask us in the forum too :)) and want the best calculator, I suggest TI-Nspire. the interface is very user-friendly and it has a computer software with it (when you buy it) that is very easy to use and the look is very professional. it has a lot of functions that are easier to carry out than in the other TI calculators I believe. have you heard of the touch keypad too? it's like a trackpad on BlackBerries or Apple. I love TI-Nspire. it's very easy to use! it's the best calculator IMO. I might be biased though but the price says its quality :P

never mind, I think you should go for TI-Nspire :/ the way you carry out some functions, it's very different. in TI-Nspire the functions are much simpler. if you see this for example:

How should I write in my calculator? SinReg L1,L2? (Which L1 is the year, 1981, 1982, 1983......, L2 is the value. mass of fish production

in TI-Nspire it's not that complicated. we just put in the data in some table exactly like excel table and then select the variables in the graph and you're done! no need to mess with those codes whatsoever.

get a TI-Nspire if you like.

Ti-84 Plus Silver Edition/TI-Nspire with Touchpad/TI-Nspire CX

These are three over which I cannot decide. CX is clearly the best and looks very good, but it is not TI-84+ compatible(even though I am not sure what does it mean, but all of my class will probably use TI-84's). TI-Nspire with touchpad is not as good as CX and is not TI-84, so still different from most of my class,, but it is TI-84 compatible and I can have TI-84's keypad. TI-84+ Silver is clearly not as good as the other, but it will be the same as my classmates so if I need help I can always ask them or my teacher.

If there's any guide to CX for IB I would definitely read it and get familiarised with it... I would like to know which one do you use and about your experiences, would you change it if you could.