Demand for crude-oil derived fuel solutions for household use in Portugal.

pixelpoo

Ok guys my title is Demand for crude-oil derived fuel solutions for household use in Portugal. and my specific research question is “To what extent does the price of diesel for household use in Cascais affect its demand?”

-is this RQ narrow enough? (can i write 4000 words on this)

I basically want to explore the demand side of domestic diesel for central heating and water heating.

-What kind of data should i collect?

I am currently collecting price per litre of diesel every 3 days from the 3 top ditributors.

how can i measure the quantity demanded without having the reports from the retailers? in order to determine the PED value

I'd appreciate any help

Thanks

I'm not so good at econ but I think this is too narrow :/

so basicly your question is to what extent price affects demand.

theoretically if price increases demand will decrease... and that's basicly it (?)

unless I'm missing something obvious here. maybe your topic is just right and doable.

the data, maybe set a questionnaire or a poll. ask people if they still want to demand the good if the price rises.

I'm not so good at econ but I think this is too narrow :/

so basicly your question is to what extent price affects demand.

theoretically if price increases demand will decrease... and that's basicly it (?)

unless I'm missing something obvious here. maybe your topic is just right and doable.

the data, maybe set a questionnaire or a poll. ask people if they still want to demand the good if the price rises.

Thanks for answering!

basically we both know any goods derived from crude oil are inelastic -fairly inelastic at least.. and that a significant price increase wont lead to a equal change in quantity demanded.

So by stating through the evidence obtained that it is an oligopoly and the whole theory of PED and factors of demand, effects on stake holders, long run short run... I could answer that simple question

should i maybe re-word my Research Question to something else?' any hints??

wait, you said diesel for household use. are there any other types of diesel? if yes, which ones? my knowledge on these stuffs is rather limited, sorry. and do they have different prices? if yes then maybe you can also talk about how it affects the demand of diesel in general. like, do people switch to other types of diesel? or do they just stop using dieseland switch to other goods?

sorry if what i'm saying doesn't make sense... I have limited general knowledge and not that good in econ.

I still think it's too narrow though :/ but you could try... have you consulted with your supervisor?

Yh... diesel for cars and diesel for central heating and water heating (domestic rather than transportation) not household as in macroeconomics where it means the consumer rather than the firm.

My ee draft is due tomorrow, my supervisor/principal is not here this wholeweek. I just BBM'ed him telling him about the situation im in and he told me i have untill the end of the week to fix anything i need to (new research question)

I am willing and able to do so, ceteris paribus :P the ceteris paribus part means that I dont mind changing everything about my EE as long as i get to keep my data already collected the same (15 weeks of diesel and natural gas prices collected primarily).

I came up with one new approach to my RQ but my supervisor will not answer untill tomorrow:

-"What market forms are present in the supply of crude-oil derived

fuels in Cascais's households?"

similarily :

-"To what extent can domestic use diesel and gas retailers in Cascais

play with prices?"