Volunteer

Hi,

I am 15 years old going to IB next year. I'm planning to volunteer in Africa or India or something in the summer to gain valuable experiences. Do you guys know any good organizations to go with?(that allow teenagers to volunteer) :) please tell me. I wanna volunteer for medicine or children care.

Thank you :D

Hi IntellectualBadAss,

I am sure that UNICEF (www.unicef.ca/), Red Cross (www.redcross.ca/) and Crossroads (www.cciorg.ca/) organise trips to different places all over the world. Have a look at their regional web pages to see if any of these are comming up soon. Just to let you know, some of these trips will require you to have adult company. It is highly likely that trips to Africa or India will not be open to you as these require professional skills and experience as well as having a high element of risk to them. However, trips to China to teach english and similar trips should be no problem.

• 2 months later...

It may be worth suggesting the idea to your CAS supervisor/a teacher in the school who may agree and organise such trips themselves. You would then be able to go with school friends and going as a group, costs will be less as well. Trips to LEDCs by teenagers to build houses/visit orphanages etc are quite common, do a bit of research and find a teacher you think would be interested, it could work out really well.

Habitat for Humanity is really good, I know a lot of my friends that used it to volunteer somewhere else.

However the same 18-and-over rule applies, but you can get around that by organizing a group at your school. Ask a teacher who would be interested in helping organize, and round up some interested students, and you can then go.