Is IB Film a worthwhile subject?

Samster

I can't really say much because I don't take the subject, but I have a good friend who is doing Film Studies. She seems to be really enjoying it. A perk of the subject is that it's all coursework-based, so you won't have to sit an exam at the end of IB. That means one less subject to study for before the exams. Though it might mean extra work to do over the two years. If films are your passion/interest, I think you should consider taking the subject.

Also, I'm sorry if this sounds offensive (I might be under the wrong impression), but the art subjects aren't really academic anyway... :P I'd say the most academic art subject is probably Music, with the music theory and all.

Taking IB Film is the single best decision I made in my three years of high school. Does that help?

Also, people who believe arts courses aren't academic are functioning under a false understanding of what the term "academic" really means. I would love to discuss Kubrick and Bergman with these individuals, and show them just how "academic" they really are.

Edit: there doesn't seem to be a lot of users on this site that actually take IB Film; if you have more specific questions don't hesitate to ask =)

Edited by Proletariat

I'm currently taking IB film- I've just finished my first year. I say go for it! It's super fun, especially if you have a passion for film-making. I know that I do enjoy the class and have learned even more skills from taking it. It's inspired me to go out of my comfort zone and take risks and learn from my mistakes. That's what film is all about. Cheesy, I know, but soooo true.

And as the previous posters said, no exam at the end of the year. Win-win situation bud.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, people who believe arts courses aren't academic are functioning under a false understanding of what the term "academic" really means. I would love to discuss Kubrick and Bergman with these individuals, and show them just how "academic" they really are.

Sorry for the late response and for going off topic, but... Please do enlighten me about Kubrick and Bergman :D