Buying Needed Research Material

elmar

I'm writing a History EE and while I'm searching and searching on Google, most of my research happens to be in various books that Google does not share completely. Most in particular, some of the books I am interested in using quotes from do not have their cited sections available online.

Is it normal for people to purchase a copious amount of books for their research? My local libraries (a group of about 5 or 6 that integrate all of their books cumulatively into one system) do not have sufficient evidence for what I'm researching, and the books that they do have, I have already checked out. I just do not want to spend such a large sum of money when there's a way it can be avoided.

well if you don't like to buy, try to find the ebook online. or buy secondhand books from amazon or ebay or something.

I also needed to get a book for my EE but I contacted the author through email and he gave me the section that I needed haha. so I didn't need to buy the book :P

Edited by Desy Glau

I'm writing a History EE and while I'm searching and searching on Google, most of my research happens to be in various books that Google does not share completely. Most in particular, some of the books I am interested in using quotes from do not have their cited sections available online.

Is it normal for people to purchase a copious amount of books for their research? My local libraries (a group of about 5 or 6 that integrate all of their books cumulatively into one system) do not have sufficient evidence for what I'm researching, and the books that they do have, I have already checked out. I just do not want to spend such a large sum of money when there's a way it can be avoided.

Hello Elmar,

I was in a similar position last summer while I was doing my EE on the Battle of Hong Kong, 1941 (also a hard topic to find sources for). Basically I was planning on buying a few books but eventually I didn't buy any. I got most of what I wanted from my local library, google books and internet pdf copies of journal articles. Have you tried searching the quotes online using the 'search for exat phrase' function? This is likely to direct you to other sources which have cited that particualr source. Also, sometimes libraries have really poor search systems which don't give related options or they organise thier topics/themes bdaly. So a way to get around this is to look at the bibliography of a 'general history' book which is related to your topic and see if it has any sources which might be related, the library you are at may have this book which didn't appear in the search previosuly.

Finally, use the internet for primary sources news paper articles, pictures, diary extracts ect. There's usually plenty.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought additional research material for my Essay.

I spent $30 on my research (all second hand from amazon market sellers)

I bought my books for the topic and my books for sources and reference.

It's common and easier, it allows for you to mark up your book and have it on call at all times.

Go through the amazon market, it will more than likely cost about $4.00 including shipping per a book.