Importance of grade 12 results.

goanbazooka23

If you're applying as an IB student, then the Uni will be looking at your predicted grades. In that case, it'll all come down to your individual teachers, and the various ways that they approach the process. Some might put more emphasis on Grade 11 marks than others. This is a question they can answer better than anyone here.

• Like 2

If you're applying as an IB student, then the Uni will be looking at your predicted grades.

AFAIK some universities also want us to submit our transcripts. so they'll also be able to look at our grades 11 and 12 results, and other activities of course.

so it depends on where you're applying to. if they only want your predicted grades then you're fine.

Edited by Desy Glau

Guest Soiboist

This depends entirely on how your school and teachers determine predicted grades, and where you are applying for university. If you have had some type of mock exams in IB1 those results will possibly turn into your predicted grades, because that's how most schools do it, including mine. However, others might look at your entire performance in classes during the two years, whereas some might look upon how well you did in late IB2. In any case you could still try to talk to your teachers about that you feel that you could have performed a lot better, and if you show that you can get very good grades on tests from now and on, it is certainly possible that teachers will predict you higher scores.

As for university, the variations between different countries are great. In the UK it is very important that you get good predicted grades, as your offer will be based on those. For the US I believe that they will look upon grades in classes throughout the entire IB years, through SAT scores for instance (I am not knowledgeable about US universities though). On the other hand there are countries, such as Sweden, where only the results from the final exams are looked upon. You have to look into the universities for the country where you'll be applying to find out their policy.

As a friend of mine once said.

"Year 12 results are to GET into Unis."

"Year 13 final results are to STAY in them."

I'm inclined to think that in comparison to your final exams, the year 12 ones are probably more important.

If the universities don't even consider you, how're you going to get in?

Edited by Summer Glau
font colour
  • Like 2

As a friend of mine once said.

"Year 12 results are to GET into Unis."

"Year 13 final results are to STAY in them."

I'm inclined to think that in comparison to your final exams, the year 12 ones are probably more important.

If the universities don't even consider you, how're you going to get in?

Wow i never thought it that way! :o

Guest Soiboist

Again, you can't generalise like that Hexi. Admissions between universities across the world differ greatly; the systems might take grades from both IB years into consideration, but certainly not necessarily.

• Like 1

As i have viewed it, in my school, the teachers set the predicted grades after the IB mock exams in febuary, and those are the results in which you will apply with to the uni's. But as previous posters also stated try engage in a lot of activities within the school so you might stand out amongst the teachers who set your predicted grades. It's not "over" yet, but if you work hard and the teachers will see improvements your predicteds will probably be higher than they would if you continue in the phase in which you are standing at now. In short terms, from my perspective and my schools view, everything is set around the mock exams and relationship with the teacher(unfortunatly,) there is still a chance!

Guest Soiboist

As i have viewed it, in my school, the teachers set the predicted grades after the IB mock exams in febuary, and those are the results in which you will apply with to the uni's.

Arghh damn it, it depends on where you're applying! I even said it in the post right before yours! For Sweden, your own country, predicted grades do not matter. :read:

Edited by Soiboist

As i have viewed it, in my school, the teachers set the predicted grades after the IB mock exams in febuary, and those are the results in which you will apply with to the uni's.

Arghh damn it, it depends on where you're applying! I even said it in the post right before yours! For Sweden, your own country, predicted grades do not matter. :read:

Are you sure? How are you supposed to apply to the uni's for the autumn when the last day is in april/may(?) and you get your results in july :S Not entierly sure though

Guest kenshi64

I was lucky enough to get a proper talk on what makes a good applicant from the heads of some american universities and as it turns out, Service ( LoL not CAS, force of habit) but social service real concrete efforts to help the community and being an active person whether that's sports or MUNs or spelling bee, makes you a more viable candidate, so my advise to all of you is that if you've botched up in year 1 then cover up that gap by having a stellar performance in these fields.

Cheers, Peace Out..

I was lucky enough to get a proper talk on what makes a good applicant from the heads of some american universities and as it turns out, Service ( LoL not CAS, force of habit) but social service real concrete efforts to help the community and being an active person whether that's sports or MUNs or spelling bee, makes you a more viable candidate, so my advise to all of you is that if you've botched up in year 1 then cover up that gap by having a stellar performance in these fields.

Cheers, Peace Out..

That's really after you get the grades though >_> ECs become the deciding factor once you're down to a pool of applicants that are all +93%.

There's no point in "botch"ing up Year 1. If you haven't been setting yourself for ECs beginning in Grade 7/8 (age 13/14) then you're going to be shooting blanks against unis like Harvard with their 6.9% acceptance rate.

Guest Red XII

Generally the most recent grades at the time of the application deadline are the most important, as they're most reflective of your current abilities as a student. Similarly, the oldest grades are the least important. After the application deadline passes, though, any further grades only really matter if your acceptance was conditional or your grades dropped dramatically enough to warrant rescinding a non-conditional acceptance.

It really depends on where you're applying for Uni as everyone has mentioned. If its the UK, then nobody could care less about your grade 11 results, it all comes down to your predicted grades and what offers you can get.

As far as US Unis are concerned, well, its more convoluted than that.

I was lucky enough to get a proper talk on what makes a good applicant from the heads of some american universities and as it turns out' date=' Service ( LoL not CAS, force of habit) but social service real concrete efforts to help the community and being an active person whether that's sports or MUNs or spelling bee, makes you a more viable candidate, so my advise to all of you is that if you've botched up in year 1 then cover up that gap by having a stellar performance in these fields.[/quote']

That's not entirely true. While I do agree that US Unis place a ton of more emphasis on extra curriculars and their application forms are based around getting to know "you" rather than what you want to do and what grades you get, they are still academic-based, just a different kind of academic. They don't care about your grades (per say), they care more about "did you challenge yourself?", "how far did you push yourself with your subject choices?", "did you still manage an upward trend of exam scores despite it all?" Having done a ton of other stuff around school besides studying for the IB like a madman helped a lot. When I had my interview with Brown, the entire time we discussed my travel experiences across Europe, we talked about skiing vs. snowboarding and debated which was better, we talked about me starting up and heading my school's first official debate society while running a parallel MUN society as President. We talked about all that and more, and never once did he question me on my exams, and work ethic and what-not. My interview with Yale was somewhat similar, if not stiffer and more formal, but I did get into both of them in the end.

So yeah, depending on where you go, it makes all the difference on which set of grades matter and which don't.

Edited by Arrowhead