Which Math course should I take?

swthemel

In the fall I will be starting the IB diploma program... I have my HLs figured out and they are pretty set in stone, but it took me ages to work out my SLs. This ended up being my plan:

HL English

HL History

HL Biology

SL French

SL Economics

... and math is where I have the difficulty! And I could really use some advice. :)

I don't know whether to do SL or Math Studies. I despise math - I literally dread the class - and I've never been very good at it. Many of my friends who are a year older than me and far better at math find it really difficult, and I have no idea how I'd manage. I would need a tutor and it would take away from the focus of the subjects that I am actually interested in as I would be spending far too much time with math when I don't even plan on having a career in math or science.

The only reason I am skeptical about Math Studies is because I have heard that it is frowned upon? I don't want to spend two years taking difficult courses in the IB diploma only to realize in grade 12 that I needed math to get into the university I want to go to.

If it helps to know, I am already aware of what area of study I want to go into after high school. I am considering majoring in international relations or political science - and if not that, an english or history major.

Here is the question - to get into a university in Canada, like the University of Toronto or Queens, would I need SL Math for a Bachelor of Arts Degree? Would Math Studies fulfill enough requirements?

Thanks so much... I have been stressing over making this decision for weeks!

Some universities don't particularly like the math studies course. I've seen some that reject people on the basis that they took math studies, even if the course wasn't even slightly related to math.

As for the 'frowning upon' of studies students, a friend of mine took studies. He claims there is nothing they go over in class that is harder than IGCSE. I bet that's the reason why. Nothing against studies students though.

Here's my recommendation.

Go through all the universities you're going to apply to, and make sure none of them explicitly say that they won't reject you on the basis of you taking math studies. If none of them do, then go ahead.

If you don't know where you're going to apply to exactly, just take Math SL. Its not that hard a course, and you can always ask others for help if you're struggling, like all of us here. Better safe than sorry, afterall.

Edited by Hexi
  • Like 1

University of Toronto:

Math Studies will not satisfy a math requirement.

Source: http://www.ibo.org/country/university_info.cfm?university_name=University%20of%20Toronto&current_country=CANADA

^ it's explicitly said there.

Queen's University doesn't seem to care much about it. Source: http://www.ibo.org/country/university_info.cfm?university_name=Queen's%20University&current_country=CANADA

for UofT, you surely can't get in with Math Studies. it's also stated in their website but I'm too lazy to find it lol. but for Queen's, it's still best to check with each faculty in their website.

• Like 1

I wanted to apply to Uni of Toronto and I'm sure they do not accept Math Studies students for any major, with no exception.

not sure about the other uni.

go with Math SL! it's not that difficult.

U of T will accept math studies if your program does not have math as a prerequisite. But if math is required, then they will not accept you.

I would say look up the requirements of all your programs on the university websites. If you are absolutely sure you don't want to do anything math-related at all, take math studies. If there is a possibility you will need math for university, take math SL. I think the safest option is math SL, since you don't have to worry if a university will accept you or not only based on your math course. If you put in the effort, you can get a 6 or 7. I was terrible at math before IB but I was predicted a 6 for math SL. So if you're unsure about what you want to do, take math SL.

• Like 1

I wanted to apply to Uni of Toronto and I'm sure they do not accept Math Studies students for any major, with no exception.

U of T will accept math studies if your program does not have math as a prerequisite. But if math is required, then they will not accept you.

That is not true. I've just checked.

Go here. I chose IB and Arts program, and here is what they say.

Admission Requirements: The International Baccalaureate diploma including English HL or SL Prerequisite courses can be presented at either the Standard or Higher Level. Math SL or HL is required for programs with Math prerequisites. Math Studies is not acceptable.

A Predicted score of 28 or more is required for a provisional offer of admission. More competitive programs require a higher predicted score.

That is not true. I've just checked.

Go here. I chose IB and Arts program, and here is what they say.

Admission Requirements: The International Baccalaureate diploma including English HL or SL Prerequisite courses can be presented at either the Standard or Higher Level. Math SL or HL is required for programs with Math prerequisites. Math Studies is not acceptable.

A Predicted score of 28 or more is required for a provisional offer of admission. More competitive programs require a higher predicted score.

I don't know what they mean now O.o It could mean that math studies is not acceptable for all programs or math studies is not acceptable only for art programs with math prerequisites. :hmmm: