Higher Level Mathematics Enquiry Thread

pedza

1. no there's only one :)

2. the thing about math is that regardless of how much you practiced/studied, you could still find yourself unable solve a problem. It's very wide in terms of questions they could ask, and it's almost impossible to manage them all! I would recommend you to take a look, see what is there, but going deep right then wouldn't be a good idea

3. For my entire class they all admit it is very difficult, that's all I could say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm not entirely sure this should be posted in this forum, but here goes:

How much time do you have for each paper in Maths HL? On past papers they have 2 hours, have this changed with the new syllabus?

paper 1 and paper 2 are 2 hours and paper 3 is one hour

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi there! I'm in Maths HL myself and this is my first year of the IB program! I live in China so most of my classmates (we are only 5, so it's quite a tough class, be prepared!) are Asians and as most stereotypes tell you, they are living Maths machines. I'm the only foreigner because all my friends are in ether SL or Studies. Last year, I did the IGCSEs so I took Maths Additional and let me just tell you, IT IS SO HELPFUL. So much of the content overlaps, or at least last year's content is an excellent background for it. I suggest you start looking at past papers (if you look at last year's, they were the ones I took :D) and learn the content you don't know about, trust me it'll help loads! xx

• 3 months later...

Seeing as this is an 'inquiry thread' I might as well post here.

Which parts of Viete's Theorem do we need to know? Only for Quadratic and cubic equations? Or are we required to memorize general formulae for any equations of a greater degree?

Are you referring to the sum and product of roots of polynomials? If yes, here is what is written on the syllabus:mOqxNxn.png

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I have been reading into the IB programme and the subjects that my school has assigned to me for the next two years, and the one that worries me mostly is Maths HL. I am a good maths student but whilst speaking to other people and reading this forum I have gotten the impression that the subject is quite difficult and challenging, but also I have some questions.

1) Discreet mathematics; series and differential equations; sets, relations and groups; statistics and probability. Shall my Maths HL class encompass all of those or only one or a few? Are they all needed to pass the IB Maths HL exam?

2) Considering the difficulty of the subject, should I make an effort during this summer to prepare by going into some of the topics which are going to be covered? Where can I find resources online for Maths HL?

3) Is it really too difficult to get the needed 66% on an exam to get a 7?

Hi!

1. As mentioned before these are the options that your teacher choses and you will study only one of them.

2. If you want you can study by yourself in the summer. However, remember that when you will get back to school, you will need to go over again the same thing in class. What I would recommend as useful resources, they are as follows:

Khan Academy - https://www.khanacademy.org/math

It all stars from kiddies maths and continues to a lot of topics that you will be covering in Maths HL. This website was my life saver when I was preparing for the final exam so you might find it useful as well.

Oxford Study Courses https://osc-ib.com/revision-centre

They have maths tutorials as well but I think you have to register to watch them.

MIT Courses - http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/

A big variety of subjects including Mathematics that you can look up.

Maths Notes - http://ibmathstuff.wikidot.com/notes

Basically, someone wrote out all the notes for each topic in Mathematics HL.

3. It depends on how much work you put in into studying. This year (2015) the lower grade boundary for 7 was 75/100. So, I guess it is always better to aim at 85 to be sure to get a 7 although grade boundaries vary every year. Theoretically, some questions in IB Maths HL can be done without really understanding the topic - in some situations you can simply use a technique. However some cases require thinking... But comparing to the past years papers became easier. You do not have to be a maths genius or anything to pass Maths HL. If you are a diligent student, you can realistically achieve a 7.

4. Regarding calculators... Different schools use different calculators. Most use Texas Instruments but in our school we used Casio fx-CG10. However, I think your school should specify which calculator you should purchase.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I have a question regarding options. I know that we are to study in class only one option during Math HL course. However the option chosen by my class is terrible for me. I am struggling with statistics but it is the worst thing of all and  I will most certainly fail. This will be a shame because I think that I am not doing that bad on paper 1 and 2 but this option is seriously killing me. I would like to study (well... in fact any option except this one, but preferably) Discreet mathematics. Here comes my question, Is it like in sciences that I can learn by myself any option, and later on I will get a whole booklet to chose anything I desire? Or I will have to say goodbye to my 7 thanks to Statistics and Probability? 

I am a bit worried since I am applying for Computer Science and this 7 is extremely important for me. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

I have a question regarding options. I know that we are to study in class only one option during Math HL course. However the option chosen by my class is terrible for me. I am struggling with statistics but it is the worst thing of all and  I will most certainly fail. This will be a shame because I think that I am not doing that bad on paper 1 and 2 but this option is seriously killing me. I would like to study (well... in fact any option except this one, but preferably) Discreet mathematics. Here comes my question, Is it like in sciences that I can learn by myself any option, and later on I will get a whole booklet to chose anything I desire? Or I will have to say goodbye to my 7 thanks to Statistics and Probability? 

I am a bit worried since I am applying for Computer Science and this 7 is extremely important for me. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi lllse

Only the option your school is doing will be mailed to your school.

In fact, your subject for paper 1 and 2 is actually HL Mathematics (Statistics and Probability) instead of just HL Mathematics. This doesn't affect the questions you get or your curve, except on paper 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Please help urgent tomorrow I have my calculus hl test.

1) A point P(x,x2) lies on the curve y = x2. Calculate the minimum distance from the point A(2,1) to the point P. (X2 means x squared )

2) The point B(a, b) is on the curve f (x) = x2 such that B is the point which is closest to A(6, 0).

Calculate the value of a.

Thank you very much