IB results come out soon! Is anyone else excited/nervous?

canada456

IB Diploma results come out on 6 July online, and 5 July for the IB Coordinators.

I'm going to McGill University in Canada and thus I have conditions for all of my subjects, particularly my HLs. I'm not truly worried about meeting the conditions, but it will be a relief when I see my scores and know I'm okay :).

What are you all going to look at first when you can finally log on? I'm trying to decide between going down the list and checking the total score.

I just hope I don't get any scores lower than I'm expecting. That would be extremely stressful.

What are all of your classes and predicted scores?

Mine are:

HL: Math (6), Chem (6), English (7)

SL: Geography (7), Spanish (7), Biology (7)

Good luck to everyone!! :)

Since my teachers have VERY little faith in me (despite 6 A*s, an A, and 4 Bs at GCSE) my grades are:

HL: Psychology (6), English (5), History (5)

SL: Biology (5), (Italian ab initio (4/5), Maths Studies (4)

I want to go to Manchester, and it seems like only a miracle will get me there -.-My offer depends on 33 points with 5s and 6s at HL. If I don't get into Manchester, Kent's my insurance... but I don't want to go to Kent. I feel like I'll only be going there because I'll be in Canterbury, and since my mum loves Canterbury she'll be visiting whenever she can.

Edited by HGBellamy

Yea I'm getting pretty tense as well :blink: It's like a week and three days... **** ;) I have a conditional offer from the chemistry department of the Helsinki university and I need to get a six from chem HL to get in, and I can also get in to the technical university of Finland (TKK/Aalto)in Espoo if I get 34 points. Truthfully I'm pretty sure I can clear 34 points and the six from chem HL, but what makes me nervous is the thought that you never know if one of the examiners that marks your papers is really strict or if something went much worse than you thought it went after the exam :blush: On the other hand, one of my teachers who used to be an IB ToK examiner said that examiners are in fact told to be as lenient as possible, which probably applies to all subjects. With my luck I probably got some chap who's suffering some mid-life crisis and couldn't care less :D

@HGBellamy

In terms of the presentation of the results; when I did physics last year essentially what you got online was just the final grade i.e. no components, but now that we are to complete our diplomas I think the screen will also include stuff like Diploma Awarded Y/N and of course your ToK/EE grades as well as subject grades. The IB coordinators can provide printouts from IBIS, which include all the component grades and even show how much your IA grade changed from original etc. so you can calculate how far you are from mark boundaries and possible consider remarking if you are close to achieving a higher grade.

Edited by ocfx

Yeah getting super scared as well, I've been very relaxed ever since the finals ended but now I'm getting nervous.. my predicted grades are in my signature and my conditional offer is 40 points with a 7 from HL History. I'm also scared of getting strict examiners (or of them not being able to read my handwriting, particularly in History).

I was planning on going down the list first and checking my point total second... Has anyone thought of whether or not they'll contact their IB Coordinator on the 5th when they get to know the results? I'm kind of tempted since I know how nervous I'll be on that day, then again I don't think it's exactly permitted although I reckon she'd give them to me early if I can get hold of her.

Edited by Cynthia

I'm going to McGill too, and they're already operating under the assumption that I'll be getting the minimums for transfer credits (listing me as U1 and whatnot.) I don't know what would happen if I somehow got a 4 in an HL o.o

That said, I'm really not that nervous about the results, because they were never really that important. My only SL this year - the score of which I have absolutely no need - also happens to be my weakest. My scholarships are more dependent upon my regular provincial marks than IB grades. My IB coordinator couldn't even be bothered to speak to us during the school year, so the chances of him speaking to us now in July is about as high as my chances of getting as much as my predicted.

I'm really glad that other people are kind of nervous for their results! My IB coordinator will most likely not release my results on 5 July, because he's the kind of person who would think we should savour the anticipation while waiting for our results.

I also felt like some of my teachers predicted me higher than they should have. Unlike HGBellamy, my teachers seem to have too much faith in me :( so I'm worried I can't reach their expectations. Good luck on Manchester, by the way! I have a friend who will probably go there because he probably won't get the 7 in HL math he needs for Imperial.

Overall, waiting for the results is pretty stressful. To add to that stress is my older brother, who finished IB 2 years ago. I will never hear the end of it if I get lower scores than him in any of the subjects we both did (particularly HL math), or fewer overall points.

@Proletariat - Yay, someone else at McGill! I've been designated a U1 too. What's your faculty? I'm in the faculty of science, majoring in biochemistry :) so I need to do well in HL chem in order to skip U0 chem, hopefully...

Guest anyalm

Goodness, if I manage to get my predicted scores it will be an amazing thing. I think I am pretty much going to get the three bonus points and I figure that a six in all subjects is possible with perhaps a seven in IT/English/History. If more than one, good for me, but if not that's still at least 40 points. Hopefully if I get a 5 in HL Bio (which is likely) the point total will still be a 40 with two 7s. My offer isn't conditional, but at least 40 points would just about make my life :). According to my principal he will be in a remote location with no phone/internet save the ten minutes when he'll travel 45 minutes to check the results, so I'm not counting on asking him for them on the fifth :P. It'll be the 6th for me!

I'm really glad that other people are kind of nervous for their results! My IB coordinator will most likely not release my results on 5 July, because he's the kind of person who would think we should savour the anticipation while waiting for our results.

I also felt like some of my teachers predicted me higher than they should have. Unlike HGBellamy, my teachers seem to have too much faith in me :( so I'm worried I can't reach their expectations. Good luck on Manchester, by the way! I have a friend who will probably go there because he probably won't get the 7 in HL math he needs for Imperial.

Overall, waiting for the results is pretty stressful. To add to that stress is my older brother, who finished IB 2 years ago. I will never hear the end of it if I get lower scores than him in any of the subjects we both did (particularly HL math), or fewer overall points.

@Proletariat - Yay, someone else at McGill! I've been designated a U1 too. What's your faculty? I'm in the faculty of science, majoring in biochemistry :) so I need to do well in HL chem in order to skip U0 chem, hopefully...

Have you spoken with an advisor yet? For Arts I just get the 30 credits, and the ability to skip all the Freshman program requirements. Science is more rigid in terms of course selection though. 5+ in HL will certainly allow you to skip any 100-level course, and possibly the 200; there's a page on McGill's rather labyrinthian site that lists all the transfer credits from the various programs, and what classes are covered by them.

@Proletariat - I've not spoken with an advisor yet, but I've spent a lot of time on McGill's website trying to figure out my courses for my major. Unfortunately I'm not in HL biology, so I must take the 100-level biology courses before I can move onto 200 level ones. For chem and math I'm able to skip the 100-level ones (and hopefully a 200-level for math if I pass the placement test). So I'm essentially a U1 student who is taking a mix of U1 and U0 classes. I don't mind doing that, because I think taking some easier classes will help lighten the load of my multiple 200-level classes. And even if I had HL biology, I wouldn't be able to graduate in just 3 years because I want to do honours biochemistry, which requires an enormous amount of credits.

http://www.mcgill.ca/students/transfercredit/prospective/ib/

@anyalm - I completely understand the feeling of wanting to achieve more than 40 points. So few people make it so it seems almost like an exclusive club. Trust me, I have spent way too much time calculating and recalculating what scores I'm going to get, depending on scores in different classes. So good luck!! I really hope you achieve your 40 points!

Me and some friends are going to go into college on the 5th to 'return' books, and then we're going to just 'bump into' our IB coordinator and 'casually' ask whether or not we've passed :P I need a miracle.

@Canada456: Thanks! And cxoolio- I <3 Canadians! What's your friend going to study?

@HGBellamy - I wish I could try that IB coordinator thing! Unfortunately I went to an international school and graduated nearly a month ago, so school hasn't been in session for awhile and no one is there :( My friend is going to study either chemical or mechanical engineering (I can't remember which one). He'll probably end up at Manchester next year, with Texas schools as his safeties. What are you going to study?

I'm nervous about my two anticipated exams (math and visual arts)!

I walked out of the math exam feeling confident I got at least a 5 and maybe even a 6, but now the feeling is going downhill and now I think I'll get a 4 :panic::bawling:

In visual arts my teacher thinks I'll get a really good score but you never know with your examiners since it's all subjective! I could get examiners that hate my work and give me a low score.... :(

I'm nervous!