Language A2 phased out

I asked my IB coordinator about this, from what he told me "A2 Languages will be phased out" by 2012 since the IB will no longer differ from A1 and A2. This applies for me. It is meant that students who have a high level of competence in the language they have chosen, which would make them an A2 candidate instead of ab initio or B, will now be treated as if the second language they chosed was equal to the first one. The course would still include the study of both language and literature, and would be available at higher level and standard level.

If I don't make myself clear is that if you in the past were supposed to be in an A2 language course, now that'd be A1 as A2s will be phased out. In a hypothetical case and as an example: My first language, Spanish is currently my A1 subject and English is my A2 due to the fact I've studied it since I was in primary school, or even kinder garten; but now, with the new IB system, it will be assumed that I can speak english, understand plenty of literature written in this language and analyse it in the same terms I do it in Spanish, even though I was raised with this one. In conclusion, you'll have to chose, in the case you know a lot of a foreign language, two A1s.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Curious thing.

I am also taking Spanish A1, except that I have English B (my English is not that bad I must say, but my school doesn't offer A2), so it doesn't affect me. Anyway, I was just curious about it.

Basically, when A2 is phased out this will raise the general difficulty of the Language B course at HL. It is probably intended that because most candidates currently sitting for a B HL exam is of an A2 level or higher, and the IBO does not want schools to further violate the rules, so they have to redesign the Group 1 and 2 schemes in order to prevent candidates taking advantage of the previous system where they may sit for a B HL exam despite it is their first langauge (or close to) and get an 'easy 7' from it.

As starting from May 2013 Language B HL candidates will be compulsory to study literature and have a creative piece to write about as an internal assessment, it will resemble the previous A2 course.

has anybody got the new Language syllabus? I'm curious to have a look as I've been told that there is this new Language A which is divided into 2 or 3? two of which that I know are Literature, and Literature and Language.

I'm not entirely sure as I haven't seen the syllabus but we can expect Language A Literature and Language (ALL) to be more or less similar to the old Language A2.

and then Language A Literature (ALit) should be like the old Language A1.

once again I'm not entirely sure but that's what I've heard so far from my teacher and from some people on this site. I think somebody even said that Language A2 has changed its name to Language ALL and move to group 1. however we can't be sure yet unless we have seen the new syllabus and compared it with the old A1 and A2 syllabi.

has anybody got the new Language syllabus? I'm curious to have a look as I've been told that there is this new Language A which is divided into 2 or 3? two of which that I know are Literature, and Literature and Language.

I'm not entirely sure as I haven't seen the syllabus but we can expect Language A Literature and Language (ALL) to be more or less similar to the old Language A2.

and then Language A Literature (ALit) should be like the old Language A1.

once again I'm not entirely sure but that's what I've heard so far from my teacher and from some people on this site. I think somebody even said that Language A2 has changed its name to Language ALL and move to group 1. however we can't be sure yet unless we have seen the new syllabus and compared it with the old A1 and A2 syllabi.

This is the guide (though I'm sure there is a more detailed booklet I've seen before but I just can't find it now): http://www.ibicus.org.uk/uploaded_images/files/languages%20guidance%20.pdf

There will be 3 subjects in Group 1: 'Literature' (SL/HL), 'Language and Literature' (SL/HL) and 'Literature and Performance' (Transdisciplinary Group 1/6 offered at SL only)

Yes. That's correct. Literature will resemble the current A1, whilst Language and Literature will resemble A2 (except from 2013 onwards it will be considered as a Group 1 subject).

Edited by I`m Potato
  • Like 2