P1: My introduction!

De Aly

With the essay due this Thursday, my life is currently in the hands of my IB English teacher, who chastises me for having a poor introduction.. gr.

It would be nice if someone would look over it?

My Title: "How does the representation of female protagonists show the ways society “imprison” women in the novels - 'Chronicle of a Death Foretold' and 'Woman at Point Zero?"

Different societies imprison women through different means. Chronicle of a Death Foretold' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and 'Woman at Point Zero' by Nawal El Saadawi, set in third world countries, both question the way women are treated in society. Through the similar experiences of Angela Vicario from 'Chronicle of a Death Foretold' and Firdaus from 'Woman at Point Zero', the novels respectively criticize the Arab and the Columbian communities. Angela criticizes the negligence displayed by the government in her society to provide for the less fortunate, whereas, Firdaus criticizes her authority for allowing men to abuse their power over women. We feel sympathetic towards Angela Vicario and Firdaus because neither are free to love, and their circumstances unable them to.

I also need help with the conclusion:

Through 'Chronicle of a Death Foretold' and 'Woman at Point Zero', readers become aware of the abuse directed at women. Saadawi created a scenario which criticised the way men abuse their power. By representing women with Firdaus, a submissive character, readers are more easily moved and can relate to her situation. On another level, Marquez proposed a consequence when governments neglect to care for their people who are in poorer situations. Readers feel sympathetic to Angela who had to suffer through poverty, and reminds us how fortunate we are to live under governments that do. Both novels appeal to the higher power in hopes that something can be done to help those in need.

Edited by De Aly