Introduction

daxx

Could someone explain the introduction to me? I understand that you are supposed to explain the significance of the topic, but what does the assessment criteria mean when it asks you to set the question into context? Could someone please help me? I know that the criteria are the same for each subject, but what does this mean for Chemistry?

Simply what it means: put the question in the introduction.

Let's have an example. My sample Extended Essay will the importance of guard dogs in American suburban households in the 20th century.

1. You start with an opening topic. Perhaps an interesting fact, or something important about your topic. Do not start out with a quote. Quotes should be used in the core and maybe in the conclusion, if you can incorporate it to let it flow steadily in. Dogs have persisted throughout history as guardians of all types for a myriad of societies and civilizations.

2. Introduce your topic, adjusting for some background. There has been a increased rate of American citizens living in suburban living, matched with a sudden increase of the purchase of guard dogs.

3. Recognize the specifics of your topic. Naturally, guard dogs serve as a responsible base for a home in all households that have a dog, as shown in the 20th century adjustment from city living to American suburban households.

4. Insert the question. Regardless of their lovability, how important are guard dogs in American suburban households, dating from the 20th century?

5. Then, foreshadow your essay, but don't give away your "answer" to your question (are dogs that important: yes/no?). With such evidence, guard dogs have been proven to decrease the amount of crime exhibited within a home in a suburban neighborhood, as well as extend the lives of the same denizens living in said homes.

This answers your question, but if you need a more tangible example, refer to the files of Extended Essays that received high marks on this website. You do not need to worry about the subject, just get the gist of how excellent writers begin amazing essays.

I would recommend you look at files that users have included their mark scheme with. I know there's a History Extended Essay on the importance of the Suez Canal that the user uploaded his or her mark scheme with, and it breaks down each rubric and how s/he received his/her score.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I didn't do a history essay to say this with absolute confidence, but I suspect it'd be similar to any humanities essay which generally means in the Introduction you should put the problem in context, provide sufficient background information, highlight the key issues and then briefly explain how (and perhaps why) you're going to deal with them - for instance I am going to investigate the role of BLAH in BLAH war by looking at BLAH sources and then contrasting them with BLAH sources because of BLAH. That kind of thing xP You can also put why you chose that particular topic (I know I had to write something about how it's relevant), but for History I don't think this is necessary on account of the fact you can't really have "relevant" and "irrelevant" history! xP

As for your thesis, although I'm not really familiar with the concept of a thesis, it's just a statement of intent, right? So that would be your title, I guess. Then of course you explain your intentions a bit more clearly, and specifically how you're going to carry them out, in the Introduction.