Appreciation of Literary Features?

No no no! While the rubric may not outright say "appreciation of literary features," you must include a discussion about the theme, characterization, figurative language, tone, diction, and/or anything else your work(s) contain(s). That's simply what a World Lit paper, and in broader terms a Language A1 paper, is. While your topic may not require the mention of all of the literary features, you should definitely analyze and discuss the major ones that pertain to your topic. Otherwise, your paper will lack the analysis it needs to receive a high grade!

Which World Lit paper are you doing? WL1 or WL2?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are different rubrics. The second WL is much more literary features based than WL1.

My English literature teacher told me that making literary features the topic of your WL1 is allowed and makes for a good topic, but it's not necessary, whereas for WL2, you've got to analyze literary features' role in the text you're reading.

So I don't think you'll be penalized if you don't analyze literary features in your WL1 paper, but if you've got room (in your word limit) and your topic can lend itself to analysis of a particular feature, which would add to an argument, go for it.

Even if they don't explicitly make a rubric for it, it is important that you analyse literary features while presenting your argument supporting your thesis. When you use quotes and such, you don't just use those quotes as proof, you have to analyse them and so on. Its one of the constant skills you pick up in English and they expect you to employ it.