New IB school and teachers...?

myvee

I've just finished my first year of IB and my class is the first IB class of the school. It's a really American school, has been offering the AP since like forever and just became an IB school, and we 're like lab rats... They will see the IB results after a few years and then would decide whether to keep running the IB or not.

I'm really worried because my teachers aren't very experienced with the IB. We haven't done much for IAs, the grading system is still like A-B-C, CAS is really messy cause no one keeps track of what they do or bother to, many IB classes are still using the American textbooks and the AP cracking books as the main materials.

The AP kids have always done pretty well, most received 4s and 5s. But I'm just have this feeling that we're not IB enough. I think that I would get a decent predicted grade to apply for unis, but I'd be really doomed if the actual exam grades are low because of the lack of IB experiences... :S

Anyone having the same experience? Does the school's teaching have a lot of effect on your IB studying and exam-taking?

well my year was the guinea pigs and we've just taken our exams - results come out in a week!! :S

Anyway, that doesn't help you. Each school has to undertake IB courses to know more about IAs and the curriculum. Sure, it'll seem very messy and unorganised for you as you're the first year. For my year, we had load and loads of problems. Like we did the wrong coursework and had to redo loads. A lot of our subjects we used A level textbooks instead of IB ones. For a lot of subjects it doesn't matter what book you use as long as you have the curriculum. Although I must say it does help for math and sciences to have proper IB ones.

We all have really good uni offers (UK ones), however I do have a slight worry that we were predicted higher. we are predicted - eight of us - from like 30 to 41. Mine's 38 and my uni offer is that but I think I'll get like 32 :S I am so worried!!

The best thing you can do to help yourself is use this site. Many people go to an older IB school and are good for advice. Also if in doubt with what you need to know get your hands on the assessment statements (especially for sciences!)

Anyway I shall tell you how our school gets on next week and see if that helps (or worrys) you :P

Wow this is really helpful. I'm really worried about predicted grades too, so at the same time I also have to study a bit for SAT and apply to some American universities, just in case my IB grades get messed up...

Anyways thank you so much! Good luck and would be glad to see your update once the results are out! :D