Classes for year one

CherryBlossom

In September, I will be begining the Diploma Program. The courses I will be talking are as follow:

English HL

European History HL

Socio Cultrial Antrophology HL

Biology SL

Math SL

French B SL

How much course work and time do each subject require? Do you enjoy taking the course? How difficult is the course? Which subject on the list is your favourite? Least favourite?

Thank you!

Although it's totally subjective for each person on the level of difficulty and enjoyment of each course, this is my opinion.

English HL - Personally I'm not a big fan of this class. Although I like reading, I hate analyzing and it's not one of my strong points. My school requires us to take this class. But if you are decent at analyzing and have a good teacher it's not too hard of a class. You're going to need to read your books thoroughly and know some quotes from each, but this class doesn't require TOO much. The World Lit papers can be a challenge, but if I'm not mistaken IB is changing how they do the Language A1 course, so I'm not sure how this is going to be handled.

European History HL - I take this class, and I personally like history so I find it enjoyable. You have to learn a lot of facts, but if you're good at memorizing it's not bad. Essays can be tricky at first, but it doesn't take long to learn how to write solid essays. The work load is quite demanding, and you need to review often to keep everything fresh in your mind, but I think history is interesting so I don't mind it.

Math SL - I took Math SL. Math isn't my favorite class, but I didn't find it too hard (save for a few of the topics...like vectors :P) If you are decent at math, but aren't GREAT at it or don't need a high level of math for university, Math SL is usually fine. It covers things such as matrices, vectors, statistics, probability, calculus, and algebra. The portfolio (IA) can be annoying, but everyone has to do it :P Start off with Math SL and if you feel you can't handle it, you can go down to Math Studies. :)

The rest of your subjects (Biology SL, French B SL, and SCA HL) I don't take so I can't comment on them, but any language SL isn't very hard at all provided you're somewhat decent at languages. My favorite from your list is European History HL, and least favorite English HL, but that's just me.

Good luck in IB! What do you intend on studying in university?

• Like 1

Math SL and Math Studies are two different levels of math. The difficulty level (from easiest to hardest) is:

Math Studies --> Math SL --> Math HL --> Further Math SL

In Math Studies it's more about practical applications of math and mostly includes things like basic statistics and probability, and doesn't really go into things like calculus. In Math SL it covers things like vectors, probability, etc. more in-depth than in studies. and HL goes even further than in SL. At my school, most people who take studies are people who aren't very good at math or don't need math for what they want to do in university, or are just lazy and don't want to take SL.

If you're decent at math SL is usually fine :)

There's a thread about the different levels of math here: You might find it useful :D

• Like 1

Well, the only one that would probably give you a problem would be English A1.. I'm hopeless in that subject. :P

History is fun actually, you don't have to manage a lot of dates, what you have to manage are facts, etc..

Maths SL is very easy (For me, i wanted to take HL), so don't worry. :P

I don't do the other ones, so i can't comment on those ones.

Math SL and Math Studies are two different levels of math. The difficulty level (from easiest to hardest) is:

In Math Studies it's more about practical applications of math and mostly includes things like basic statistics and probability, and doesn't really go into things like calculus. In Math SL it covers things like vectors, probability, etc. more in-depth than in studies. and HL goes even further than in SL. At my school, most people who take studies are people who aren't very good at math or don't need math for what they want to do in university, or are just lazy and don't want to take SL.

There's a thread about the different levels of math here: You might find it useful :D

thank you for the link. hmm, I guess I'll see how SL is next year, and if I'm not into it, I will drop and take studies.

Well, the only one that would probably give you a problem would be English A1.. I'm hopeless in that subject. :P

History is fun actually, you don't have to manage a lot of dates, what you have to manage are facts, etc..

Is English HL a lot of work? Also, apprently, only one World Lit is required from now on. Is that true?

thank you for the link. hmm, I guess I'll see how SL is next year, and if I'm not into it, I will drop and take studies.

Is English HL a lot of work? Also, apprently, only one World Lit is required from now on. Is that true?

I'm doing Spanish A1 HL and i hate it!!!

And, are you serious?!!??! That would be GREAT for me!