Double Arts

Engel

Hey, people!

I'm positively starting at Music HL next year, but now I'm thinking about taking E-systems so I can take Theater as well. Is it worth it, or just loads of stress?

Cheers, Engel

The arts are in group six, which means that you can't take more than one art subject. (Unless you do one of them as a separate certificate, is this what you are planning on doing?)

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you want to do after IB. If you want to study a more classic/academic course in university, then it's probably better to take only one art-subject and focus on getting good overall grades. However, if you are planning on pursuing a carreer in music or theater, then taking both of them might of course be beneficial.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Both subjects are in the Group 6. You can only take one Group 6 course in the diploma. However, as said above, if you wish to take it as a Certificate, you can certainly do that.

I never considered a candidate willing to take two Group 6s, but when you think about how everyone else has the opportunity to take 2 courses in another other group (besides A1) if they replace the Group 6 requirement with another Science, or another language, it's not fair. I wonder if IB has realized this as well.

People often take 2 humanities or 2 sciences to develop them for college, if they know they're going to do something humanities-related or go into medicine. But what about people going into the Arts? Then again, it is possible to take a second 6th subject course, you will just have to take it separate from the diploma and on top of your requirements for the diploma as a certificate.

• Like 1

I think the reason that the IB is structured the way it is, is because majority of the students who take the IB, and majority of the students in general, want to go into a rigorous University degree course, because let's face it, the IB is a rigorous high school diploma course. I don't think you will be allowed to take another art subject unless you do seven subjects, because having one course from the first 5 groups is a requirement. Bu tyou can balance it out well if you plan on pursuing Arts at University by taking softer other courses like ES for Science and Business or Economics for Group 3.

Hey, people!

I'm positively starting at Music HL next year, but now I'm thinking about taking E-systems so I can take Theater as well. Is it worth it, or just loads of stress?

Cheers, Engel

I have to disagree with those above who say you aren't allowed to take two Group 6 subjects. Our school offered this option however there wern't enough students to make environmental systems a viable subject and so it was not used. What happens is that taking environmental systems (or whatever it's called) covers BOTH the requirements for group 3 AND group 4, so it covers that which is necessary for sciences and humanities - so YES it is an option in the IB.

Onto your actual question. Are you asking about the combination of theatre with music? I can't speak from personal experience but just what I have seen from other people doing the two subjects. If what you want to do is based in the arts, then I would say that this is a very viable option as you will always do well int he things you excel at. However I think that both of these courses are difficult in their own way, but of course different to doing say a science at HL ! If you aren't as strong in the sciences or humanities, and are strong in theatre and music, I would say go with that option because although it is unusual, you are more likely to enjoy and do well in something that you are good at!

Make sure you talk to your IBC to check that there is going to be enough interest in environmental systems, or the same might happen at your school as has happened at mine! In that case, you will need a backup option (eg a humanity and science you want to do) to ensure that you aren't stuck with a horrible subject combination!

Hope that helps :)

• 2 months later...

I am currently taking both HL IBTA and HL Music Analysis. ES&S is an interdisciplinary class, meaning that, as stated above, it furfills the requirements of 2 groups. So if you want, it is perfectly acceptable to take ES&S for both science and history and acquire a seventh subject. The arts are very prominent at my school, and I know lots of people with their diplomas who took a 6th and 7th subjects. Good luck to you!