Question about HK

Grassroot

I am an IB student in China, currently interested in HK universities (HKUST especially)

I heard that HK universities usually give IB students provisional offers.

I wonder if there is any chance that I can get a non-conditional offer from HKUST.. I have SAT1 and 2 for applying HKUST....

Is it possible????

Thanks

PS:坛子里有没有同胞有兴趣港校的???用SAT这种情况可能吗?

TRANS: PS: Are there any members in the forum that are interested in applying for Hong Kong universities??? Is it possible to apply with the SAT?

你好!

因爲你是讀國際文憑的關係,所以我想SAT的成績並不會讓你在報HKUST有太多的優勢,除非你IB的Group 1語言不是英語A1。當然,你的SAT成績也應該會吸引大學的注意,畢竟我想拿SAT到香港唸大學的大陸學生也不多。

若你打算以IB成績報讀HKUST的話,它們的最低要求是總分30分。聽說也有專爲IB考生以設的獎學金,但要看你最後IB所拿的成績。

至於non-conditional offer的話,我個人認爲應該不太大可能。除非你有出眾於凡的才藝,大學還是想看看你最後的成績才能作出錄不錄取你的決定。

TRANS:

Hello!

Since you are taking the IB exams, I think the SAT would not give you much extra advantages when you apply for HKUST. Unless your Group 1 language is not English A1. Of course, if you happen to have an excellent SAT score then perhaps the university may take that into consideration as well. After all, in my opinion, the number of Mainland students who have taken the SAT and at the same time, wish to study in HK universities is not great.

If you are considering in applying with the IB, their minimum offer is 30 total points for the diploma. I have also heard that there is a scholarship available reserved just for IB diploma holders, but this is subjected to your final points.

As for an non-conditional offer, I personally believe that it is not too possible. However, if you possess talents that are out of the ordinary, but even so the university will still want to look at your final results before giving you an offer.[/

• Like 1

谢谢!

请问出众的才艺 是指课外活动上的才艺还是学术上的才艺

我的A1是中文

港科大的全额是38分…… 奋斗的目标哈....

请问您是学长还是学姐 据说TOK很难 有什么取得高分的诀窍吗?

TRANS:

Thank you!

What do you mean by 'talents that are out of the ordinary'? Do you mean extracurricula activities or academic talents?

My A1 is Chinese.

HKUST's full-year scholarship is for 38 points or above...

I've heard that TOK is very difficult, do you have any advice for achieving high marks in the subject?

課内/外皆可,比如是國家/學校球隊,贏過任何大型比賽之類的你都可以在自我推薦書中提及。

那麼,你的Group2是讀英語B HL或以上的嗎?如果不是,科大就會十分重視你的SAT。

你現在的成績怎麼樣?38分應該不會很難吧^^ 加油!

我是學長。你呢?請問你是學弟還是學妹?

TOK的部分我唯一的建議是要多參考TOK課本/教科書-這會對你在寫作TOK論文方面有所幫助。至於TOK Presentation,請多運用TOK的述語(ways of knowing/areas of knowing),並避免把presentation的内容過於專注在倫理辯論。 由於大多數的考生通常都對TOK's "Knowledge Issue"的要求感到十分模糊,所以你要謹慎選擇你presentation的Knowledge Issue。

TRANS:

It can be both extracurricula/academic. For example, being in a national/school sports team, taking part in any major competitions etc. These activities can be mentioned in your reference and personal statement.

Then, is your Group 2 language English B HL or above? If not, then I think HKUST will want to look at your SATs.

How are your grades so far? 38 points shouldn't be too hard! Good luck!

For TOK my only advice to you is to read the TOK textbook. This will really help you in your essay writing. As for TOK presentation, do use plenty of TOK terminology (WOK; AOK) and refrain from making your presentation into a ethics debate, which is a trap most people fall into. Also, too many people are confused with the idea of a 'knowledge issue' in TOK. Make sure you select your knowledge issue well before you start your presentation.

• Like 1

我是学弟 呵呵…… 话说国家队和校队的差距很大的……

多谢关于 TOK 的指导

不瞒您说我们学校的教学水平比较水 我们的IA老师指导做的不是特别好

38分 自然要全力争取了

不过有一个问题 语言能力不是应该看托福成绩吗? 为什么大学会以SAT作为衡量语言的标准呢?

TRANS:

Thank you for your advice in TOK.

To be honest, our school's level is not great, especially our IA teacher's supervision isn't particularly good.

38 points - I'll just have to do my best.

But I still have a question, is your language abilities judged by TOEFL? Why does the university want to use SAT as a standard of judging your language abilities?

我是学弟 呵呵…… 话说国家队和校队的差距很大的……

多谢关于 TOK 的指导

不瞒您说我们学校的教学水平比较水 我们的IA老师指导做的不是特别好

38分 自然要全力争取了

不过有一个问题 语言能力不是应该看托福成绩吗? 为什么大学会以SAT作为衡量语言的标准呢?

TRANS:

Thank you for your advice in TOK.

To be honest, our school's level is not great, especially our IA teacher's supervision isn't particularly good.

38 points - I'll just have to do my best.

But I still have a question, is your language abilities judged by TOEFL? Why does the university want to use SAT as a standard of judging your language abilities?

@Grassroot:

呵呵… 學弟不客氣… 以後有什麼問題歡迎你隨時跟我聯絡

對厚… 總之好像國家隊規範吧…

IA方面要多多練習,格式自然就會曉^^

或者可以參考一下每門科目的Guide

其實TOEFL也是接受的,但如果你有SAT的成績的話,幹嘛不拿出來秀秀給他們看呢? 哈哈哈…

TRANS: Hm... Probably just achievements at a national level...

As for the IAs, you just need to practice and know the formats. If not, you can always check out the guides for each subject...

Actually I think TOEFL is accepted too but if you possess a score for SAT, why not show if off to the university?

• Like 1

thank youuu Potatooo :D :D

I actually wanted to apply to HKUST too but I've changed my mind (I'm just very indecisive like that...)

the English requirements for international applicants can be found here http://join.ust.hk/apply/non-local/admission-requirements/english-requirement and for local applicants can be found here http://join.ust.hk/apply/non-jupas/admission-requirements/english-requirements

English B HL will not suffice. they want English A1 or A2. but you can also Achieve a minimum Writing sub-score of 8 in the SAT Reasoning Test and it will do.

what qualifications do you have before IB? if it's really really good and your IB predicted grades are excellent then you can probably get an unconditional offer (maybe? who knows? actually I'm not sure, the website doesn't really say much about this) or if you've won some olympiad or anything... maybe you could.

• Like 1

lol the translation is really accurate though.....

To #9

So far I have my SAT score (1 only) with an essay score of 10.

I checked the same information on the website. But I heard from several counsulors from different schools that HKUST will give provisional offer to IB students regardless of their SATs.....

Poor us.... to some extent IB is really becoming a burden....

Actually I really have no idea because I didn't plan to apply to HKUST at all so the information that I'm providing is based on HKU stuff. lol. I did go through the HKUST website but I was so turned off with the application procedure (you have to apply online). Then I just closed it and never went back.

I mean, when it comes to HK universities, SAT doesn't really matter. I think they just need to see your TOEFL or something. But then again I'm not too confident with what I'm saying here because I don't have any of these exams taken.

學弟抱歉 如果我之前po的info把你搞混

呵呵@@

I don't think the IB part is the burden. maybe they always give provisional offers to all candidates? (meaning they never give unconditional offer?)

I don't know though.

but why do you really want them to decide based on SAT? lol

just do well in IB and you'll be fine :P

I don't think the IB part is the burden. maybe they always give provisional offers to all candidates? (meaning they never give unconditional offer?)

I don't know though.

but why do you really want them to decide based on SAT? lol

just do well in IB and you'll be fine :P

Our school sucks...i.e. our highest this year is around 30....

btw I am quite confident in my SAT though... even though my grade is not that competitive yet

All I want is an unprovisional offer....

All I want is an unprovisional offer....

but you need to be realistic. if the university does NOT give unprovisional offer, meaning they always give provisional offer to all applicants no matter what, there is no way you can get one.

I have friends getting unprovisional offer from HKUST.... but they didn't do IB....

I think it's because for IB you don't get your results when past the application deadline so you must apply with your predicted grades from school. These can be inaccurate so they just want to double check that your school is not giving you grades that are overly good just for application to university.