IB subjects to be chosen keeping in mind journalism?

I suggest you to take English A Literature HL and another language A Language and Literature HL (groups 1 and 2).

if you can then take another language A Language and Literature SL or a language B HL as your group 6.

choose subjects that require you to write a lot, for example:

biology in group 4

economics/history in group 3

^ if you like the above subjects, that is. otherwise it's fine. don't take subjects that you don't like.

then math SL will suffice.

good luck!

Guest Soiboist

First of all, in what country do you want to study and in which language do you want to work with journalism?

I think that the language in which you wish to write at HL is an obvious choice, and subjects that requires you to research a lot such as History might be helpful. Other than that I'd say it's completely up to you. I don't think there are ever any specific requirements for a degree in journalism with the exception of a high grade in the language of the course. I would just take the subjects that I enjoy the most, because that will ultimately give you a higher total grade.

Hey. I wanna do journalism in the future and you can see the subjects i chose;

I had a very limited choice due to our small numbers. But I would def say choose as many languages as possible and see what you are interested in. For instance, I love business, and so i chose it :). GOOD LUCK!

Heya! I've also been into the journalism path but i fell back into the traditional economic footsteps. Anyways, as a journalist it's important ofcourse to be able to express yourself well in whichever language you want to write in. Being bilingual or fluent in 3 or more languages is a striving benefit for being an international journalist and newspapers strive for finding these unique journalists. As previously said, take 2 languages A1 HL and A2 HL(or 2 A1's, if you're up for the work.) Another course I would recommend is geography, understanding human nature and social networks is very important as a journalist. Other than that, it's just personal preference in my opinion but as stated, it's always good to be well read as a journalist. Psychology is also a contributing factor for journalism as you could include social scientifical debates in your article! But you could also choose whatever direction you want, economic, scientific etc :) Good luck with your choices! :)

Journalism is a really good subject to keep in mind for university. I thoroughly enjoy the idea of learning it, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to work so hard for such little pay.

As mentioned above, keep in mind where you're going to be reporting/working/etc.

You should commit to the following schedule:

• Your native language (A1) HL
  • English A2 (HL/SL)
    This depends on how well your English is and if you want write for publications in the U.S. If you want to move to America to write, then you should definitely take HL.
  • History HL. Or Geography HL if your school offers it. I would think History would provide more breadth and volume to your studies though.
  • You science does not matter, and see as you already have 3 HL's, you can take it SL. Go with which everyone you feel most comfortable with.
  • Math Studies. You shouldn't need Math SL, unless you thoroughly enjoy Math and want to take it for fun.
  • An elective. None of the arts would work for you, so I would choose another Group 3 Subject (Humanities), so you can expose yourself to more writing.

Good luck! And make sure you get some experience if you can (i.e. interning at local newspapers, writing for your school newspaper, reading big publications in your country or in other countries, such as The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times). Just like many of the careers in the world, you'll need experience in the industry to parallel the fabulous education you have, and the more experience you have, the better! You might even get a job straight out of high school/college if you intern at a place long enough for them to like you and your work.

• Like 1