What are IA's?

HikariXRika

they are assements you have to do for certain classe such as math or history. they wil be assigned by you teacher at certain times, and you just need to complete them as it says on the syllabus. they need to be written in a paper format, not as 1. 2. 3.

they are bascially essays that will be graded by your teacher, and they count twoard you IB grade for the diaploma.

Well, Internal refers to internal grading, i.e. your teachers give it a raw mark. Some of the IAs, however, are sent for external moderation to the IBO. For example, in a class of 20, the best, the worst and some IAs (~5) somewhere in the middle will be sent to the IBO. Then the moderator either raises or lowers the marks for everyone in the class by looking at how the teacher's grading has been in the samples sent. They're rarely kept at the mark that the teacher gave.

Most of the IAs are graded by the teachers (using special marking schemes of course) but the teachers always have to send in a couple of copies (I believe the ibo sort of request a couples) that are then moderated (i.e checked by another examiner). If they feel as if the marks are too low, they will raise ALL of the internals that that teacher graded for that session, if too high, they will lower it, or they will simply leave it be.

There are some internals that are though actually external assessments. For example, in A2, you do 'written task' which are basically two creative pieces, one for the cultural option and one for the literary option. Those you get weeks to write with drafting and etc and needs to be computer-typed and etc but then they are sent off to an examiner (just like exams, tok and ee) to be graded and thus NOT by the teacher.

The IAs task differ greatly from subject but the product is always some kind of essay. For example, in psychology you do an experiment and then the IA is the report/essay.

So the IAs are graded by only your teacher and not the IB examiners (or whatever they're called) who grade your Extended Essay, exams, etc.? ^^

IAs are graded by your teachers, thus they're called INTERNAL assessments. EEs, exams, world lit papers are external assessments, so they get sent off to IB examiners to be graded.

And as for the original question, there's different IAs in each subject.

For the sciences, it's your labs and they count for 24% of your final mark. Although you take the best 2 that you have out of each category (planning a and b, data collection, data processing and presentation, conclusion and evaluation, personal skills, manipulative skills).

For economics, you do an economic portfolio made up of 4 commentaries and together it's worth 20% (I believe..I don't really remember).

For math, it's 2 portfolios and they make up 20% of your mark.

For english, it's your IOC and IOP and they make up 30% of your mark.

I'm not sure about the other subjects.

Btw, for Music I believe you do a "Musical Investigation."

Not really sure what that is, but that's what it's called!

I'll ask the music students about it later.

yep for internal for music you do a 'musical investigation'

its pretty much a comparitive essay between two completely different styles of music.

eg. compare traditional african drumming with an opera from the baroque period

except you choose what you are going to compare and how you analyse it.

music is the best :P

IAs are graded by your teachers, thus they're called INTERNAL assessments. EEs, exams, world lit papers are external assessments, so they get sent off to IB examiners to be graded.

And as for the original question, there's different IAs in each subject.

For the sciences, it's your labs and they count for 24% of your final mark. Although you take the best 2 that you have out of each category (planning a and b, data collection, data processing and presentation, conclusion and evaluation, personal skills, manipulative skills).

For economics, you do an economic portfolio made up of 4 commentaries and together it's worth 20% (I believe..I don't really remember).

For math, it's 2 portfolios and they make up 20% of your mark.

For english, it's your IOC and IOP and they make up 30% of your mark.

I'm not sure about the other subjects.

for history, you do a paper on a historical investigatory question following a set format and well, it's just called an "internal assessment"