Diplomacy/International Relations

brankar5

I am going to start IB in September and my subjects are

HL= Math, English B, Economics

SL= German B, Slovak A (native speaker), Physics

I am thinking of studying sth like diplomacy or international relations and I was wondering if I have chosen the right subjects (in fact, to me they seem absolutely out of topic = I am interested in them so I chose them:) My question is: Do the Ivy league universities really care about your subjects? What would be possible better choice?

Edited by brankar5

There really aren't any course selection "templates" for most programs, not in the sense that one must take courses X Y and Z in order to succeed.

My only recommendation would be to contemplate substituting German for History, but if you plan to focus on European diplomacy then you still might be better served with the language.

There really aren't any course selection "templates" for most programs, not in the sense that one must take courses X Y and Z in order to succeed.

My only recommendation would be to contemplate substituting German for History, but if you plan to focus on European diplomacy then you still might be better served with the language.

Yeah, that's right what I was thinking about, but I want to study second foreign language so I have to hope that it won't make any troubles later when applying to an university:)

Not having history might make some first year Poli Sci courses a little difficult, but it's one of those subjects that can easily be studied on one's own anyways.

I haven't taken IB Economics, but you might even consider replacing it for History, if the IB curriculum is on the shallower side in terms of macroeconomics.

the ivy league does not care about subject choice, just rigor of your courseload (ie. 4HL would be very rigorous, as would 7 subjects instead of 6)

this is because you can easily change your major at university until the spring semester of your sophomore year. even after that it is still possible to change majors. this is why many students pick a major that is not very common to stand out from the rest of the applicants. however if you choose a major that you don't really like during the admission process, even though you can change it later, it would still be hard for you to write essays on why you want to do that major and this will be reflected in your admissions decision.