IB Book Purchase?

Hi! I'm new to this website and I'm going to start the IB Program this September ( when I will be in 11th Grade ). I was wondering about the books: Do I buy them myself? Are there certain classes in which the school provides them for you? It now too early to order them ? Just for the record, I will be taking the following subjects:

English A1 SL

Psychology SL

Mathematics SL

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

Greek A2 HL

I looked up the books on Amazon, however I couldn't find the ones for Greek A2 HL. Help me, please?

We got all our books for free without a deposit and just returned them at the end, but got charged if we lost them. Ask somebody in the year above you, perhaps? If you can buy your own books it's expensive but in a way better because you can make sure you get the best textbook rather than just whatever your teacher likes/the school owns. We actually used some that were for the old syllabus even! XD

• Like 1

We got all our books for free without a deposit and just returned them at the end, but got charged if we lost them. Ask somebody in the year above you, perhaps? If you can buy your own books it's expensive but in a way better because you can make sure you get the best textbook rather than just whatever your teacher likes/the school owns. We actually used some that were for the old syllabus even! XD

Our history teacher gave us whatever he had lying around. It resulted in 50 books that broke my bookshelf, and all of the history students have one book that they can't find.

Whoah whoah whoah I'm confused. There are different editions of textbooks? So there isn't like one for the whole IB community to study from? I knew about the study guides that you could choose which one to buy, but not for the textbooks :S .

I can't ask someone in the year above me since I'm going to be attending a new school for the first time. So I don't really know the students there. Anyway, I'll probably call the school and get some more responses from here.

More responses are welcome.

Edited by Blue Alien

It depends on the subjects you're studying. Take English, for example. 'First edition' means that it's among the first to have been printed, BUT the publishers are important because some will include notes on the translation/work/etc and others will not. The IBO has special textbooks for the Diploma Programme, and since the syllabus is changing you are going to be getting the 'first editions' of the new syllabus textbooks.

//does this make sense?//

there are a number of publishers that publish IB books.

the best thing you can do right now (or soon) is to ask your school. they might have chosen which books from which publishers that you'll use in class, so you don't need to worry.

if in the end you'll have to get your own textbooks, come back to us and we will help you choose.

• Like 1

We got a list of all books we have to buy, titles, authors, publishers, ISBN numbers etc. and we have to buy them ourselves. You should ask someone at your school, don't buy textbooks if you don't know for sure they're the right ones, you can lose a lot of money.