Sign in to follow this  

individual Diploma Programme courses

My school does not offer one of the subjects I would like to take. They are not willing to offer it next year and the negotiations are stuck because there is "less demand than offer". Is there any way that I could teach myself the course and only use my school to do the exam of that subject? I´ve heard that with selfstudy language A students.I hope there is an option that I can use my school just as an examination centre for one subject.

Edited by berbelk

yes you can, but you still need to consult with your school as to whether they allow you or not.

which subject is it, if you don't mind sharing it here? because some subjects are just...too difficult maybe to be self studied.

The subject is maths HL, I´ve already seen the sylabus for SL and my maths teacher is fond to help me, the "less offer than demand" thing is not a problem for him. I know it is probably one of the tougher courses of the IB but I think I am prepeared for the challenge. I am also wondering if Physics SL would be something doable but it is just a thought.

Anyway, which paper should I start in thecase I want to self-study Maths HL? Should I start by talking with the IB cordinator? Where could I find some info about selfstudying IB subjets?

Edited by berbelk

I get a feeling many people here would be like WTF lol

I mean, studying math HL with a teacher in class is already difficult... I can't imagine self studying it. especially when you do the IA. oh unless you can get a teacher outside school who knows the syllabus and can teach IB math HL. that should be fine.

I think self studying physics SL shouldn't be too difficult but it would be awesome if you could also find a teacher.

I suggest you to ask your school first whether or not they allow you to do this (maybe there are teachers inside your school who can teach you? ask them first). if not get a teacher outside school to teach you and then let your school know about it.

good luck!

Edited by Desy Glau