The UCAS Thread

dessskris

Are the predicteds supposed to definitely be written down by the referee based on what information the school gives them?

Yes, sort of... Every school operates on a different policy. If you are applying through your school, then they get to put down what your predicteds are based on what your individual teachers have determined.

Or can I have a say in it or even determine what predicted grades to indicate for the unis?

I would be very surprised and suspicious if you had a say in what your predicteds should be. I know some schools allow this but its definitely a practice to be frowned upon.

Or leave out the predicted grades, and how would this affect my chances of getting in?

If you apply without predicted grades, the universities you've applied to will have no way to assess your current academic potential. You will get rejections all around from all of them. Unless you apply to some really dodgy universities that give you an acceptance for just having a pulse.

Or if I choose to apply as individual, is it so then that the referee isn't responsible of the predicteds, but I am, in that case?

I guess if you applied as an individual you could bypass your referee and input your own predicted grades, but I imagine your school would not be supportive of this, especially since they have a mechanism in place for UCAS.

But will this affect the unis' decision making if other students are applying through the school buzzword?

Maybe? Maybe not? It's very hard to say if a university will look that closely or not. But, worst-case scenario, suppose they do find out and get in touch with you: what excuse would you have without admitting that you wanted to inflate your predicted scores?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi! I'm trying to fill out my UCAS application at the moment, with moderate success. I have a few questions.

1. I've studied a year abroad in Spain and I have grades for the first year (1 de bachiller). However, I can only fill them out if I chose "titular de bachiller" as my qualification - which would be both year 1 and 2, not only the first year. What I've done is that I've written "Passed (year abroad)" in the 'grade' box. Is this acceptable? Or how do I fill those grades in? 

2. Do I have to finish everything (PS as well) before I request a reference or can I still write my PS after I've sent the link to my referee? 

Thanks so much in advance! My school doesn't really have much experience with UCAS applications, so any sort of answer would be a life-saver :P

Edited by Sofia Karlsson

• 1 month later...

I know that I need: 

-Personal Statement

-2 Recommendation Letters from my teachers

-Prediction IB grade

Do I need something more for my UCAS application?

Do you know if school tell you your prediction grade?

I know that I need: 

-Personal Statement

-2 Recommendation Letters from my teachers

-Prediction IB grade

Do I need something more for my UCAS application?

Do you know if school tell you your prediction grade?

You need one reference from your teacher, not two, there is only space for one. When it comes to predicted grades, it depends on the school. If you are applying through your school, then it sometimes happens that the school does not tell you your grades. 

And those three components is all you need for the UCAS application. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I have a question regarding this situation (as seen in the picture). What do I put? Do I put "pending" or my predicted grade?U6Qi9h8.png

Pending :)

Really? Then how will the universities know my marks and scores?

Your councelor sends your predicted grades. I don't remember how they get the final exam grades though, but they do in July

Hi, I'm applying soon but I still have a few questions to make:

1. Do most schools tell the students their predicted grades or only a few?

2. I am applying to LSE Management, They require 7 in SL maths, which I have, 766 in HL subjects, which I have, and 37 predicted overall, I have 41 predicted score...

Do you think I have chances of getting in? How long does LSE take to respond?

Hey guys, I have a question regarding this situation (as seen in the picture). What do I put? Do I put "pending" or my predicted grade?U6Qi9h8.png

Your councelor sends your predicted grades. I don't remember how they get the final exam grades though, but they do in July

But I am applying as an individual so there is none to send my predicted grades to the university or is it?

But I am applying as an individual so there is none to send my predicted grades to the university or is it?

Ooooh then sorry I have no idea... If you can't find it on google then maybe email UCAS?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm applying soon but I still have a few questions to make:

1. Do most schools tell the students their predicted grades or only a few?

2. I am applying to LSE Management, They require 7 in SL maths, which I have, 766 in HL subjects, which I have, and 37 predicted overall, I have 41 predicted score...

Do you think I have chances of getting in? How long does LSE take to respond?

Hopefully I'm not too late!

1. Completely up to the school. Mine did, others don't. Maybe ask your teachers nicely? 

2. You definitely have a chance, although everything else - PS, reference etc. - is also as important. So polish those. As for how long it takes for them to reply, you usually get an email right away telling you that they've received your application. In that email they should also tell you when (more or less) they'll make a decision. Or at least that's what I got. 

Good luck with everything!

When you apply as an individual, your referee has to fill in the predicted grades.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, everyone. I'm quite confused about sending the IB results to UCAS

My IB coordinator asked me for the institutions that I'm going to send the IB results to (the free service one, that we can choose up to 5) but since I'm applying through UCAS and I've heard that my universities will view my results ONLY through UCAS, then what do I do?

Does it send automatically to UCAS or do I have to put something in the "institution" thing in the IBO website?

(Help me please since my IB coordinator doesn't exactly know these things either)

4 hours ago, aileenaileen said:

Hey, everyone. I'm quite confused about sending the IB results to UCAS

My IB coordinator asked me for the institutions that I'm going to send the IB results to (the free service one, that we can choose up to 5) but since I'm applying through UCAS and I've heard that my universities will view my results ONLY through UCAS, then what do I do?

Does it send automatically to UCAS or do I have to put something in the "institution" thing in the IBO website?

(Help me please since my IB coordinator doesn't exactly know these things either)

From what I remember, and assuming you only have your predicted grades so far, you would put in your predicted grades into UCAS. When you get your diploma, and if you filled in that institution thing that your IB Coordinator talked about properly, then they will be sent a copy of the IB diploma directly, so that they can verify that you have in fact passed with okay grades. This way, you don't have to copy the diploma and send it yourself. It will also happen much quicker, as this is done immediately as you get your grades in July, whereas you usually don't get the diploma itself before August or thereabouts. 

So, in short, do both! 

• 10 months later...

Hey guys,

What university do you think I should go for?

I have applied to English Literature and Creative Writing in the following institutions: University of Kent and Lancaster (in which I got from both an unconditional offer and could try to easily go for a 2.000 pounds a year scholarship), Warwick (conditional and requests 38 p), Surrey (34 p) and finally Edinburgh which hasn't replied yet.

Honestly, I am more inclined to either Kent or Lancaster. My main criterion isn't the prestige, it has never been, otherwise I could have applied to institutions considered to be more prestigious such as UCL or St. Andrews, but I prefer a cozy and passionate environment, for I am a foreign student who is applying to a rigorous and very specific course. On the other hand, prestige isn't relegated totally, I mean the institutions I applied to might not be the most illustrious but indeed are not below top 20 of the UK. I also checked the UK univ ranking and Warwick was considered to be the best with lancaster on its tail. I also dug in to search for the best at the literature area and all were astonishingly well, with Lancaster, Warwick and Kent excelling. What is also encouraging me to go for Kent, besides the rather positive reviews I got from students I know there and the cozy environment, its the degree: it s slightly different its English and American Literature and Creative Writing with a year abroad. The US is one of the main destinies I am thinking about going to to live and knowing about its Literature or incurring in a year abroad in the US would be an auspicious factor for me to then settle there as a writer. What do you think I should do?  

• 2 years later...

I've been starting to fill out the UCAS because there are two schools in the UK that are interesting to me. I've reached the Personal Statement section and I have absolutely no idea what to write or how to write. At least for the US Common App there were prompts to guide you, but the PS sounds/looks like it is just "write about you" and I have no idea what to do.

On 1/8/2020 at 3:25 PM, katelynanne said:

I've been starting to fill out the UCAS because there are two schools in the UK that are interesting to me. I've reached the Personal Statement section and I have absolutely no idea what to write or how to write. At least for the US Common App there were prompts to guide you, but the PS sounds/looks like it is just "write about you" and I have no idea what to do.

No there are definitely things you should write to 'hit' the right ideas with the people reading. It would helpful if you tell us which subject you are applying for as that dictates a lot about what you should be putting in.

20 hours ago, Sandwich said:

No there are definitely things you should write to 'hit' the right ideas with the people reading. It would helpful if you tell us which subject you are applying for as that dictates a lot about what you should be putting in.

I'm applying to a couple of different courses. Business of the Creative Industries, Film and Television Production, Marketing, and potentially Primary Education as well. For the first three, I feel like they're connected enough that I could potentially write a good generic Personal Statement but I know Primary Education (or just education in general) could be the most useful in the long run so I want to add that in too and I know I'm probably just making it more complicated for myself. (To add, I'm applying to the University of York and Durham University)