Primary Research for an Economics EE on Neg Externalities?

StSilver

Hey guys! As it's the Summer Holidays I'm planning on getting as much of my EE done as soon as I can. So I thought the first thing I should do is deal with the Primary research first.

I'm doing my EE on Economics.

My research question is "How can Malaysia avoid/lessen the effects of negative externalities caused by rapid industrialisation experienced by countries such as China and India".

At first I thought the question would be too vague but my supervisor okay'd it and so did my IB coordinator. So we're okay with that.

Now, I was wondering what exactly I could do to obtain primary research on this. I obviously can't head to China or India to measure the effects of pollution, etc. I can head to Malaysia if I need to as it's only a 3 hour drive to KL. I was thinking of doing a sort of questionnaire, would that be okay for an EE? If so, would it be correct to include questions on how Negative externalities could be stopped/reduced or how it would effect the people? I could give said surveys to members of the public and local ministers.

Is that okay? I'd like some feedback on the idea please, and suggestions if it's not the right thing to do.

Cheers guys!

Even though your school okay'd your question - I still think the markers will find it too broad/vague. Do you have a plan on what exactly (specific concepts) you will be discussing in your essay? Consider doing a specific industry. Looking at how negative externalities can be stopped in an entire country may tempt you to deviate from economics and into other subject areas.

Surveys, interviews, data published online/in books can all be used as part of the primary research for your essay.

But first I would suggest refining your topic or at least planning an outline for your essay.

• 1 month later...

I actually have an outline where I first describe what N.E's are and then comment on the different types of externalities. I then show the ways a government can reduce or pay for negative externalities (e.g.taxes, permits). I then want to analyse, using the data I have the effects of these externallities on the economic livelihood of the people and the country.

Is that the right way to go about this?

I'm also not too sure what type of questions to put on the survey. I have data from books and the like but I actually need some primary research.