Preparation of transition metal complex

zed

Hi, I am new to the chemistry sub-forum, so I am sorry if I have done anything wrong in advance.

The prac was to prepare the transition metal complex tetrammine copper(II) sulfate.

In this prac, we were required to vacuum suction the compound to remove all water so we could attain an accurate mass. However, the flask contained water which was slightly blue. Does this mean there was copper ions in the water or the entire metal complex?

Also, I didnt understand the concept of solubility in this prac, why did we have to cool the solution in ice water? And how can I discuss this?

Finally, what was the point of using ethanol in the prac? Something to do with polarity but I do not quite understand what effect it has?

Sorry if these are stupid questions or I am asking for too much but thanks for any help :)

Well, the ethanol might have been a catalyst since you were trying to make a semi organic (not really) compound with the 4 amines on it. There are a few reactions that involve alcoholic environments for it to work so that might just be it.

Ice water...cold would slow down the dissolving of really anything but I have no idea what you were doing in this lab...

Blue is usually a Cu+3 (I think, maybe 2) solution so yes there were most likely copper ions in there somewhere.