What HLs should I take?

So far I've got four HLs: Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Norwegian A1.

I don't know which to choose. I'm thinking of ditching either Maths or Norwegian. Maths because I'd rather get a 7 in SL than a 5 or something in Hl. Norwegian because I don't think the Unis I going to apply for care about me doing Norwegian HL.

What should I do? I have to decide come fall.

any language at HL is not likely to help you for medicine. math HL might help as some universities require it, I heard. but you should check with the uni that you want to go to!

I would say both are difficult, but I honestly would go with math as it might benefit you later.

can't you start IB with 4 HLs first and then drop one later in the middle of the course? I did that. took chem HL for only a quarter.

whoops, are you a 2012 candidate? hmmm, have you got any predicted grades? which subject are you doing better at?

Edited by Desy Glau

any language at HL is not likely to help you for medicine. math HL might help as some universities require it, I heard. but you should check with the uni that you want to go to!

I would say both are difficult, but I honestly would go with math as it might benefit you later.

can't you start IB with 4 HLs first and then drop one later in the middle of the course? I did that. took chem HL for only a quarter.

whoops, are you a 2012 candidate? hmmm, have you got any predicted grades? which subject are you doing better at?

This year I got a six in Norwegian and a five in Math. I think I will get a seven in Norwegian if only I put in the work required. In math, I think I could get a seven in SL, but I'm really not sure about HL.

You should do some research of which University you want to go and check the application requirement for studying medicine.

After that, you will get clearer of what to do next.

If the university you are aiming at, does not require any additional/particular subject, of course then you should choose a subject that will gain you a higher mark in IB generally.

• Like 1

Even though Medicine is a quite competitive course, I think most of med universities don't really take into account maths or a language but chemistry and biology HL. I think you should drop Maths and get a higher grade in math SL. Think about your final points, you have better chances of scoring higher without Maths in HL.

• Like 1