Can you do an EE based on an IA you did previously?

julius1618

Hey guys,

My EE is in Math . The thing is that conceptually it is A huuuge extension of an internal assessment that i did. ( thats how i got inspired) i can do some quality math there. but it is an extension of an IA non the less. my supervisor says its ok. but i dont know. what do you think?

To be more specific... an IA looked at small matrices im generalizing everything for n x n matrices using out of syllabus methods.

sorryif posted on a wrong thread

Hey guys,

My EE is in Math . The thing is that conceptually it is A huuuge extension of an internal assessment that i did. ( thats how i got inspired) i can do some quality math there. but it is an extension of an IA non the less. my supervisor says its ok. but i dont know. what do you think?

To be more specific... an IA looked at small matrices im generalizing everything for n x n matrices using out of syllabus methods.

sorryif posted on a wrong thread

you could have created a new thread :P

tbh, I actually thought of doing the same thing! I asked my teacher for past IAs and looked into each one of them but didn't find any interesting one :( but I eventually got a decent topic, so I'm lucky :)

but I guess I could still share information about doing an EE that is an extension of an IA.

it is fine, as long as you cite that it's from an IA, and extend your field of discussion. it's good that it's a huge extention! the thing is though, which IA is that? for which years can the task be used? if it's for 2012 and 2013, I am afraid there might be some problems if you do that EE, because the future students are still doing that IA! there is a chance for them to look at your EE and cheat! even if not, it's still better to avoid. so basically you shouldn't use that IA if it's still in use for assessment. if it's an old IA that is no longer used, I'm pretty sure it would be fine.

I'm sure your EE would be interesting! good luck!

Just to be careful, know that you can't submit the same work for two different assesements. I think I read somewhere that it constitutes malpractice. So if you desperately need to use your IA, change up your research question and make sure that you aren't drawing too heavily from the IA.

I would ask your advisor first, and the teacher who gave you the IA.