BOOK's Question: Harris Publications OR Pearson Baccalaureate

jeffreychann

Is Summer!!

But my recent Math HL grade is extremely low...

That I'm determine to study through the books to improve!!

I've got these two books: Harris Publications AND Pearson Baccalaureate

Which book do you think that will prepare you most to the Real IBO exam in terms of the questions inside?

Any other suggested way to study and improve on Math HL?

THANKS!

Edited by jeffreychann

I have the Haese & Harris book. It's good for consolidating basic concepts but if you want to prepare for the exam, don't use the book. The questions are too simple compared to real past paper questions.

Also some advice: very simply put, do more questions. It's what I'm trying to do now. Try to set a goal for yourself to do a certain amount of maths each day. It doesn't have to be a hefty amount like 15 questions or 30 minutes of maths. Start with something simple, like 1-2 questions a day from your textbook, past papers or any other resources. Then gradually try to do more question every day, if time allows. I used to have a bad habit of cramming right before each test and it really isn't the way to go for a subject like maths. There's just too big a variety of questions for each topic, and if you study only before the test you won't be able to get that much into your head.

If you're not sure what topic to start on, just print any past paper and start scanning the questions. You don't have to do all of them, but just run through in your head how you would approach and answer each question (e.g. for a question on sequences and series - first I would check whether it's an arithmetic or geometric sequence/series, then I would find the general formula, blah blah blah). If you're able to do this for one question, move onto the next. When you get to a question where you can't quite answer in your head, you know it's that topic that you need to study.

• Like 1

I have both the Pearson and the H&H books. At the moment I am working independently on the Pearson HL book. It's generally good, gives you some intuition on how to derive and properly understand the various formula/rules in the course. What I also like is the collection of past paper questions included in some/most of the practice questions at the conclusion of each chapter. Ideally after I work through the Pearson book completely I will start and finish the H&H book aswell. (already done the H&H SL Book).

But as highlighted by ninety there is no substitute for past papers. So take the time after you finish a unit from the HL course (e.g calc) to look through some past papers and find some relevant questions and attempt to answer.

I had the H&H and the Ibid Press books. As previously said, the H&H books are pretty much no good as exam preparation. I suggest that if you have access to question banks, use those together with the Pearson and if you can get your hands on it, the Ibid book. Remember: Ibid is the IB books' way of saying "WIN!" :rolleyes:

Edited by ∫ Jorge δx

Thanks ninety and Hus!

These tips will definitely help me to improve my Math!! :thankyou:

I had the H&H and the Ibid Press books. As previously said, the H&H books are pretty much no good as exam preparation. I suggest that if you have access to question banks, use those together with the Pearson and if you can get your hands on it, the Ibid book. Remember: Ibid is the IB books' way of saying "WIN!" :rolleyes:

How's the Ibid Press Mathematics HL book? By what you are saying, looks like it's a book worth looking at.

What so good about it?