A Doll’s House and Antigone

Hellooo Survivors!

I've been starting to plan my WL essay, and I've got this.

"To what extent is ignorance a factor contributes to the actions of the characters within the two plays of A Doll’s House and Antigone?"

What do you guys think about this topic? Will this be sufficient to talk about?

Or is there anything to improve on this topic?

Any help is appreciated! :)

I only read Doll's House, and I don't think ignorance plays quite an important role in the play? or did I forget the story? it's been months and I'm not choosing this work for my WL so I might have forgotten but if my memory is right, I don't remember any ignorance portrayed in the play?

For the ignorant parts in A Doll's House, for example:

Nora chose to forge the signature and ignored the tradition of the society.

As a role of woman, she thinks she can solve the problem while she's just a woman.

etc

At the first thought on this topic, I thought it will be too general(is it?) which will be hard to achieve high marks.

Nonetheless, will be too risky to do this topic?

it doesn't show much ignorance... it's just your own interpretation, it's not directly shown in the play.

ah or you mean like when Nora ignores Torvald's advice not to borrow money and not to eat macaroons? hmmm maybe it's possible then... but is ignorance a significant aspect in the play? because for example when Krogstad comes to threaten Nora, she does NOT ignore it but instead it worries her like crazy. also when Helmer said lies are not good for the kids or something, Nora was really really worried and didn't ignore it.

so, ignorance may come a little in the play but not as a major aspect I don't think.

unless you have other evidences from the play.

try to look into other aspects of the two work. or if ignorance is a very significant aspect in the other work, maybe you can still compare it with Doll's House and say that Nora sometimes ignore some stuffs but sometimes not.

Hellooo Survivors!

I've been starting to plan my WL essay, and I've got this.

"To what extent is ignorance a factor contributes to the actions of the characters within the two plays of A Doll’s House and Antigone?"

What do you guys think about this topic? Will this be sufficient to talk about?

Or is there anything to improve on this topic?

Any help is appreciated! :)

I did my world lit1 on these and I think you may have more concrete arguments exploring something like courage.

What do you think?

I get how you could justify ignorance,particularly on Creon's part but I'm not sure Nora was really ignorant.

She took risks knowingly,but she generally (as far as I remember) could justify them/and so could the reader.

Thanks for the replays! :thankyou:

Is it necessary to have equality of one topic between two texts?

Take "ignorant" for example, will it work if in the end, I say "there aren't much ignorance in A Doll's House and whereas in Antigone, ignorance is an impacting factor contributing to Antigone's action."

ahhh. courage is a good one to think of. ;)

I'm sure courage is a more relevant elements. hmmmm

Probably for the "ignorant" part, there aren't much to write, but questions in mind, such as:

- will any topics be too general which will be hard to achieve high marks.

- do I necessary need to mention all the things within my topic?

Probably I am ignorant now. XD

Whatever my topic will be, I am trying to compare two literature texts?

Sorry for the questions I asked :dash:

Take "ignorant" for example, will it work if in the end, I say "there aren't much ignorance in A Doll's House and whereas in Antigone, ignorance is an impacting factor contributing to Antigone's action."

Probably for the "ignorant" part, there aren't much to write, but questions in mind, such as:

Yes,whatever your topic is,you have to compare.

I would say that you need to have equality of the topic yes.Because the world lit is a comparison.For example I compared whether or not the actions of the characters could be justified or something(its a blurry memory).

When you pick a topic

Make sure that you pick something that you can talk about and something that is in both texts.almost equally.It can be a character trait or the way a theme is expressed.

so that you can draw links.for example

Torvald (i think) is egotistic and this might be why he oppresses Nora.He doesn't want her to eat macaroons because he wants to be seen as having the perfect wife and he's worried about his image.

Creon is an egotistic ruler and he ignores the advice of Terreisias (sorry,i know its spelled wrong) and this leads to the death of his family members.

Yeah.I think thats pretty much an outline of a way you could draw comparisons.But you should also take the advice of others because I did my wl about a year ago and i may have some facts inaccurate.

and have a look at this

• Like 2

[quote name=Gee :)' timestamp='1310325605' post='123642]

Yes,whatever your topic is,you have to compare.

I would say that you need to have equality of the topic yes.Because the world lit is a comparison.For example I compared whether or not the actions of the characters could be justified or something(its a blurry memory).

When you pick a topic

Make sure that you pick something that you can talk about and something that is in both texts.almost equally.It can be a character trait or the way a theme is expressed.

so that you can draw links.for example

Torvald (i think) is egotistic and this might be why he oppresses Nora.He doesn't want her to eat macaroons because he wants to be seen as having the perfect wife and he's worried about his image.

Creon is an egotistic ruler and he ignores the advice of Terreisias (sorry,i know its spelled wrong) and this leads to the death of his family members.

Yeah.I think thats pretty much an outline of a way you could draw comparisons.But you should also take the advice of others because I did my wl about a year ago and i may have some facts inaccurate.

and have a look at this

Looks like I need to read more about these two world lits again to get the essences. :blink:

Thanks Gee for your advises :)) Appreciated!

Good luck to your exam in Nov!!