Corruption in IB system

icecoldstar

Here is the situation. I kind of feel that my math teacher is downgrading most of the guys in the HL class and bluffing for the girls. based on my SL year with that teacher last year, almost all of the guys received pretty low scores while the girls scored high. After peer to peer comparisons, we agreed that she is extremely biased. This does not get resolved however, because IB usually takes the top tier and the bottom tier of the class... which are high scoring girls and low scoring girls (guys in the middle).... so, every year, the feed back the teacher gets back is that she grades too easily... (obviously, since she ****ing favours the girls... and everyone's score decreases)

so, what should we do???

BTW, she is the pregnant teacher i was talking about in the other thread... she is due march 6th, and she is still ****ing in school every day!!!

To be honest, I don't see why she does it - you'd expect any self-respecting teacher to try to reach as high marks as possible. But I'm not saying this isn't possible, I do know of teachers who favor only girls/boys, like my old Swedish teacher who gave all girls 6s and guys 5s basically no matter what they did. (Except for me, and a few girls, we got 7s :P )

This doesn't really count as corruption, but our Math SL teacher is similar to that drama teacher, she only gives 1/2 points in IAs for the effort criteria since she says she's always been marked down if she's given someone full points for effort.

This doesn't really count as corruption, but our Math SL teacher is similar to that drama teacher, she only gives 1/2 points in IAs for the effort criteria since she says she's always been marked down if she's given someone full points for effort.

My Maths HL teacher is like that, he'll never give 3 marks for the use of technology. According to him, you need to make a whole new computer program for that.

^^ lmao!!!!uowlmaojs8.gif

my math HL teacher, the one i was talking about, she never gives guys full points for technology nor effort, but almost all girls received full points... apparently, in her eyes, guys procrastinate more than chicks....

in addition, girls' typed IAs are neater than guys' types IA :P

• 3 months later...

ARGHHH i know that feeling, thats what my tok teacher does sometimes, for the presentations (we do a lot of them since we never have too much of a class) she scores girls higher idk why. In my case it isn't that serious, fortunately, so it doesn't matter that much - i mean, she accepts our feedback on marks and does recognize she is sometimes unfair, so she adjusts it. But yeah, tell the IBC. he/she should do something about it, because partiality is in no way admissible, and it's worse if it can possibly affect your IB scores. seriously, don't just keep it to yourself, it's something that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

We have a similar problem in our school, except in this case, its the IBC who also teaches biology. Basically, her daughter is in our class as well, and she is taking BIO HL with her mother as the teacher and as the IB Coordinator. I have no doubts that the daughter gets special consideration. Its interesting because among the HL students, every single person, except the daughter, failed the mid-term and the daughter got a near perfect score. The daughter is extremely lazy and produces far shoddier work than anyone else. Since the teacher is also the IBC, everyone is "afraid" to make a formal complaint since the teahcer is known to hold grudges. I was wondering if there was any IB bylaw that prohibited teachers/IBCs from assuming that position when their own children were in IB. Certainly creates a huge conflict of interest.

We have a similar problem in our school, except in this case, its the IBC who also teaches biology. Basically, her daughter is in our class as well, and she is taking BIO HL with her mother as the teacher and as the IB Coordinator. I have no doubts that the daughter gets special consideration. Its interesting because among the HL students, every single person, except the daughter, failed the mid-term and the daughter got a near perfect score. The daughter is extremely lazy and produces far shoddier work than anyone else. Since the teacher is also the IBC, everyone is "afraid" to make a formal complaint since the teahcer is known to hold grudges. I was wondering if there was any IB bylaw that prohibited teachers/IBCs from assuming that position when their own children were in IB. Certainly creates a huge conflict of interest.

Surely there must be something that prohibits this! At least for assessing the IA portfolio, the mother/IBC/teacher cannot be considered neutral. But I can see the situation you are in, it probably would not be a good idea to take this up directly with your teacher. One wild idea is that you could try calling the IB office in your area (Cardiff/NY/Buenos Aires/Singapore...) and ask them directly about this. Calling is a better option because they can just ignore your e-mail, but if you call them, it will be hard for them to not answer you. And, obviously, they should treat you anonymously, so should further action be taken, your ass will not be the one burning for telling on your teacher. Definitely an endeavor worth undertaking.

There are rules about teacher's children etc though I'm not sure what they are formally. I am sure they exist though because my IBC's son was in my class and he taught us IB Geography and he had to sign a statement thing and everything that said he was father of a candidate and he was marking our IA and all that jazz.

Actually two of my IB teachers had children in my class but at least they were being ethical about it. :) My friend's mother was our TOK teacher but she actually got one of the lowest score for the TOK presentation so can't say there is favouritism there.

deissi's idea of calling them is probably good...though they have known to answer email.