May 2011 Physics EE Grades - Shocking

lostfan123

I dont know if this is true but almost everyone I have talked to who did their ee in physics and chem. got a C.

I really dont understand if the EE examiners just give ou Cs to everyone because I have worked so hard on my EE,

spend so many hours in comparison to other people. My teacher also told me my EE was really good, but for some reason

everyone seems to be getting a C. DO you think a re-mark might change my grade?

If anyone is willing to have a look at my EE and tell me if they feel it deserves a higher grade than C, I will send it my email.

Thanks!

From the people I've spoken to, it seems that Physics EE grades tend to be pretty random. My school had a pretty consistent history of brilliant students getting Cs in physics extended essays - essentially the reason why I didn't do it. It seems that teachers are always very happy with the essays yet students come out with low grades, which begs the question, who the hell are these examiners?

Guest Soiboist

From the people I've spoken to, it seems that Physics EE grades tend to be pretty random. My school had a pretty consistent history of brilliant students getting Cs in physics extended essays - essentially the reason why I didn't do it. It seems that teachers are always very happy with the essays yet students come out with low grades, which begs the question, who the hell are these examiners?

Furthermore, the most common grade for Extended Essays actually is a C, I have seen specific statistics for it (which I can't seem to find now though) and a quick look at the EE results thread shows the same results.

You must know that Extended Essays under the category of the sciences usually score badly if they don't have an experimental basis, maybe that's one of the reasons of why statistics of people getting C's are astonishing. Plus, I know from my teacher who is an examiner that they're quite strict with EEs on physics since they tend to give a lot of bs and not enough mathematical procedures on how they got their results. Plus, there are plenty of mediocre conclusions in the physical IB EE world. O.o

No, examiners don't just give someone a C because their essay was in Physics.

Sometimes even really good extended essays get a lower-than-expected grade if you don't follow IB's marking scheme/criteria. This might have been the case for you. I also know a case in my school where an excellent EE (in history) from my school which was predicted 36/36 but ended up getting a B - but was changed to an A after a remark.

Its hard to say where your problem lies. What was your research question? I can also take a look over your essay - PM me if you want me to.

Edited by master135