Remarking dilemma

n0urhan

Okay..so I just found out the components of my grade and I am off from the next level by VERY little in FOUR subjects!!! I had 2% till the 7 in Economics SL & Maths HL and I had 1% in Chemistry& Arabic (till the 6 here)

I don't know whether to feel happy because my mark can now potentially go up or just plain pissed by how close I am!!

Any way, I am trying to choose what subjects to send for a remark. I have already excluded maths since it is very objective and it is very unlikely that the mark would change at all let alone go up by 2%. But I will almost definitely send Arabic to be remarked.

Now, my problem lies in chemistry and economic. I am off my more in economic but I feel that it is slightly more subjective and therefore more likely to go up than chemistry. Which one is more likely to jump to the next level in your opinion? Which one should I send? Or should I send both??

It costs quite a bit so I don't want to be wasting money but I also don't want to go like 'what if' later on

What should I do?

(Note that it will not make any difference when it comes to college it is just a matter of self-satisfaction and feeling that I got something in the 40s rather than the 39 i got :D)

Also, in general how often it is that marks go up when sent for a remark? Are the examiners a little bit easier when marking the second time around?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by n0urhan

Well If you are only 1 and 2% away, you can't go down, so send as many subjects as you can afford. As for ease of marking, I would assume it is easier, since the first time they mark, they have 3 markers.

If you're 1 or 2% away, you cant go down? is that a guarantee?!?? And what do you mean, 3 markers?

Technically it is not a guarantee and your mark CAN be downgraded BUT if you're 1-2% away then you're about 10% away from the boundary of the lower grade. To go down a level would mean that you go down that much when remarked! If that happens then there is a serious problem with the system and the way they mark. Examiners should all mark almost the same way so generally your mark can't change by more than 2-3%.

I don't understand the whole '3 markers' thing either though

Well If you are only 1 and 2% away, you can't go down, so send as many subjects as you can afford. As for ease of marking, I would assume it is easier, since the first time they mark, they have 3 markers.

If you're 1 or 2% away, you cant go down? is that a guarantee?!?? And what do you mean, 3 markers?

Technically it is not a guarantee and your mark CAN be downgraded BUT if you're 1-2% away then you're about 10% away from the boundary of the lower grade. To go down a level would mean that you go down that much when remarked! If that happens then there is a serious problem with the system and the way they mark. Examiners should all mark almost the same way so generally your mark can't change by more than 2-3%.

I don't understand the whole '3 markers' thing either though

I'm one mark away from a higher grade in 2 subjects, so hopefully I wont be go down.

For the 3 marker thing...I was taking the spanish b sl exam this year and i saw that on the front of our answer sheet, there were 3 places for 3 markers to put marks on paper 1.

So, if only 1 person were to mark the test, it may be more leniet. But Im not sure if they actually use 3 markers.

Edited by God

I don't think they use three examiners as a standard - I tried to find some facts on this (not sure if there's anything on this forum), but I'd imagine the standard procedure is that only one examiner marks it. If it's off the predicted grade by more than 2 points a second one will do so, and a senior examiner will finally mark the script if a remark is requested.

Exams are marked by examiners, who send samples to senior examiners. The senior examiners moderate the marks based on the samples and then send samples one more time to a higher level. I am pretty sure of this process because someone I knew got a final mark which was a "6" based on the grade boundary, but showed as a "5" as his actual mark. The reason he found out (from IB) behind this was that the component marks (including exams) are recorded to 30 decimal places by IB (the marks shown were rounded) - which indicates that exams are moderated.

In terms on remarking, remark as many as you can since you are so close. Chemistry also has a chance of going up, I had my Physics (more objective) remarked and went up by 4%.

• Like 1

In terms on remarking, remark as many as you can since you are so close. Chemistry also has a chance of going up, I had my Physics (more objective) remarked and went up by 4%.

So, do you think it's worth having remark from Maths which is close by 2,75% to boundary?

Edited by korba7

For the 3 marker thing...I was taking the spanish b sl exam this year and i saw that on the front of our answer sheet, there were 3 places for 3 markers to put marks on paper 1.

So, if only 1 person were to mark the test, it may be more leniet. But Im not sure if they actually use 3 markers.

I don't think they use three examiners as a standard - I tried to find some facts on this (not sure if there's anything on this forum), but I'd imagine the standard procedure is that only one examiner marks it. If it's off the predicted grade by more than 2 points a second one will do so, and a senior examiner will finally mark the script if a remark is requested.

As master135 said, I believe what usually happens is that after an examiner marks the papers, they are sent to a senior examiner who only marks samples. I am not sure if this means samples from every single paper or if it is a few chosen papers. I too remember seeing something about 3 examiners on our exams though! :)

I really don't care how they do it I just hope they are as fair as possible..

In the remark, it is probably only marked by one and I imagine they would be slightly easier on us maybe out of the kindness of their hearts hahaha :D

Exams are marked by examiners, who send samples to senior examiners. The senior examiners moderate the marks based on the samples and then send samples one more time to a higher level. I am pretty sure of this process because someone I knew got a final mark which was a "6" based on the grade boundary, but showed as a "5" as his actual mark. The reason he found out (from IB) behind this was that the component marks (including exams) are recorded to 30 decimal places by IB (the marks shown were rounded) - which indicates that exams are moderated.

WOW!!! I am off by 4% from the 7 in physics too haha :D Could I be any more UNLUCKY!!!

One more correct question in five of my subjects and I could have potentially gotten 44/45! :(

I have been beating myself up over that for the past few days and I just can't help but remember all the silly mistakes I did in the exams and the parts I wished I at least looked at before the exams.I guess its useless and ridiculous to do that now though...

I sent three of my subjects to be remarked: Arabic (1%), Chemistry (1%) & Economics (2%)

If I am lucky with these I might send maths and maybe maybe (but I doubt it..)physics

I assume you went up a level after the remark then..did you remark other subjects too? How did it go?

WOW!!! I never imagined that sciences can go up so much!! I just found out that I am off by 4% from the 7 in physics haha :D Could I be any more UNLUCKY!!!

One more correct question in five of my subjects and I could have potentially gotten 44/45! :(

I have been beating myself up over that for the past few days and I just can't help but remember all the silly mistakes I did in the exams and the parts I wished I at least looked at before the exams.I guess its useless and ridiculous to do that now though...

I sent three of my subjects to be remarked: Arabic (1%), Chemistry (1%) & Economics (2%)

If I am lucky with these I might send maths and maybe maybe (but I doubt it..)physics

I assume you went up a level after the remark then..did you remark other subjects too? How did it go?

Edited by Summer Glau

So, do you think it's worth having remark from Maths which is close by 2,75% to boundary?

What are your component grades? If you did poorly on the IA then probably not. Is there a paper which you felt you did better on than the mark you received? If yes, then give it a go. If not, then reconsider.

WOW!!! I never imagined that sciences can go up so much!! I just found out that I am off by 4% from the 7 in physics haha :D Could I be any more UNLUCKY!!!

Yes, I went up a level (6 to 7) after the remark. In terms of marks - my paper 2 went up by 1 mark and paper 3 went up by 6 marks. I also tried a remark in English HL - where my world lit went down by 2 points but the level remained the same. Two others in my econ class got a remark, one went up while the other remained the same (this person was off by 0.5% or something).

My suggestion if you are still deciding over some subjects is to go to your teacher or IB coordinator, and ask them to take a look at the question paper (they should have a copy) and see if your mark is lower (or not) than what you think you got right.

Good luck with your remarks.

Soooo...in case anyone is interested hehe :D

Chemistry went up after the remark! It is a 7 now :)

I don't know about the others still...

Chemistry was the one I was expecting to go up the least so I am extremely happy!

Remarking was NOT a bad idea after all!

Chemistry was the one I was expecting to go up the least so I am extremely happy!

That's awesome!

Another way of doing it could be sending your IA's for remark?

Worked with some other friends who got a 7 from a 6. :)

That's awesome!

I thought IA cannot be remarked.

That's awesome!

I thought IA cannot be remarked.

I'm not sure, to be honest.

My friend was probably lying. But his final grade went up somehow. :o

IAs cannot get remarked, unless something has changed with IB regulations... and congrats on the Chemistry going up.

I didn't know that IAs don't get remarked!! My Arabic orals were cruelly downgraded so my hope was really based on them...

Thank you! :)