Quotations

CkyBlue

So for World Literature texts, it's my understanding that they are translated from different langauges. And in some texts that we are given to read, there are notes by the translator. Are we allowed to use those notes for our World literature papers?

Specifically, I am writing about Madame Bovary, translated by Geoffrey Wall. He has made notes about the characters; right now I'm working on WLP1, can I quote from him instead of just Flaubert?

if that's how you'd like to cite the source, yes do that.

or alternatively you can put the citation as footnotes (which don't count towards the WL word count) instead of parenthetical citations because they count towards the word count.

don't forget to include a bibliography at the end of your essay.

• Like 1

While you can still USE them for your personal knowledge to help yourself better understand a work, I would never advise that you quote sparknotes or rely on them heavily. It makes you look bad lol.

For external sources, I would be really careful. Try to stick just to the work under analysis. Sure, if you wanted to have a nice little quote somewhere from a famous paper I don't really see a problem. If you're trying to base your argument off that of another to the extent where you need to quote it, I would advise that you stop using that source, or start making more original ideas. 8-| IB wants you to think for yourself (at least I think lol).

Don't start using 'external sources' until University lol.

Edited by JoeGuff
  • Like 1