Help on subject choice for a later degree in mechanical engineering

DDuino

hello guys..after my pre ib i am off to the IB diploma now in september...but still not sure what exactly to take when applying for the mechanical engineering in UK...their main requirements are always Maths and Physics HL...but i have been told chemistry HL is really relevant...is that truth?i am not good at chemistry i am very **** in it so i dont wanna take it...would you say it makes a different for later?

also my subject choice would be:

HL maths, physics, English A2

SL SloveneA1, phylosophy, anthropology/or third language....

What would you say???anthropology or a third language???would it look bad when applying having 3 languages if you are off to do engineering???i would actually need some advices in this from you

thanks a lot

Chemistry is definitely relevant to, but generally not required for a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

However, I would recommend taking it as your third SL, instead of anthropology. Having two sciences will look better than having two humanities/three languages when applying for an engineering course.

• Like 1

yup, I agree with Sammie.

the requirements for Engineering is normally math HL and physics/chemistry HL. most of the time physics HL is preferred over chemistry HL. having chemistry HL/SL might be useful, but if you don't like it, don't take it.

I wanted to do ME too and chose math and physics HL with chemistry SL because at that time I liked chemistry. now in IB I don't like chem anymore, I can guarantee that you will hate IB chemistry too, so don't take it if you don't want to. ME is not so much related to chem like Chemical Eng.

about your subject 6 choice, go with whichever you like better. perhaps the third language, because IMO it's easier to score in than anthropology. in the UK your universities will usually give you offers based on your total points and HL points. so if you have an easier group 6 subject, it might get you higher total points. anyway neither would be really helpful for engineering. taking the third language might make you to be seen as a diverse and well rounded person.

what is the IMO?

and what do you mean by diverse and well rounded person?in positive sense?

so you would say UK universities dont really look at the toughness of your subject choice but rather the total points yeah?

IMO is short for "In my opinion".

A diverse and well rounded person is a person who is good at many things, it is a positive thing.

Not entirely, your total points are more important but naturally universities prefer a rigorous subject combination.

Edited by Sammie Backman
  • Like 1

however like if i take

HL maths physics english B or A2

SL sloveneA1, phylosophy, german ab initio or spanish B

would it be looking oK?better B language or like ab initio are not disregarded?

It looks okay. Spanish B is the better choice as Ab initio-languages are sometimes seen as soft subjects.

Edited by Sammie Backman

so you would say UK universities dont really look at the toughness of your subject choice but rather the total points yeah?

not exactly... I honestly don't know but I think the toughness of your subject choice is also important in a sense :S like what Sammie said.

in the US the subject choice is not important, only the total point is important. but in the UK... maybe both are equally important? I'm not sure.

I agree with your HL subject choices. English B will do... some UK universities don't care if you take A1, A2 or B so English B HL is just okay.

but if you are capable of taking English A2 SL go for it. then for your German you can take German B HL. but if you think it would be too difficult for you, just stick with English B HL and German ab initio.

or you can still choose anthropology for your group 6 if you don't want to take German B in the fear it would be too difficult.

yeah but obviously german ab initio is easier then anthropology to score a 6 or 7...i dont have a clue about the german so...

thanks for your advices though...

i havent done in my life any chemistry i think i am going to struggle in it maybe..