A week off at the very beginning

Gaby

Hi everyone!

My parents want to go on holidays for a week or so in the end of September so when the school year is already full on. I'm kind of afraid of losing a whole week and besides, with new teachers, I don't want to have a bad opinion in the very beginning. I've just wanted to know if any of you guys did that and whether or not it'll hurt me at all... (I'm already going to skip 2 days in the second week cause I'm going to a European Youth Parliament session).

Edited by Gaby

some of my friends did that. my teachers ended up hating some of them because of their bad attitude and behaviour after a few months. if you're a nice girl, that shouldn't be a problem :P just make sure that you have informed the school that you'll be absent on those days!

but it's sad... the first few weeks of school are usually the most fun weeks in the whole year :(

Edited by Desy Glau
  • Like 1

You dont really do anything in the first week. At least our school didn't. It was review and all that, so it shouldnt be a big deal.

But my parents want to go in, say, the last week of September when you actually start doing something. That's why I'm a bit concerned.

You dont really do anything in the first week. At least our school didn't. It was review and all that, so it shouldnt be a big deal.

But my parents want to go in, say, the last week of September when you actually start doing something. That's why I'm a bit concerned.

Even so, I wouldn't worry about it since it's only 1 week of material, that you could easily catch up on if you have friends give you the notes.

Remember, IB scores really on count on exam and IA. So the only thing I would worry about is handing in IA that are due.

• Like 1

It shouldn't worry you!

In the first week you barely do anything. :P

It's revision and etc, the first topics are easy!

And about the bad image.. I doubt you will give the impression of one, a friend didn't attend for the whole first month and he is okay with all the teachers. :yes:

Well I think it clearly depends on your school Gaby. If you already emailed your class teacher and she said everything would be okay and you shouldnt really worry for anything, you MUST enjoy one hundred percent that week off, even though it is like the "funniest or most relaxed one" in the school year for some people. Its pretty different in my school, agh.. this annoys me so much haha. Usually the first week of IB in my school allows you to understand what youll be seeing throughout a certain course, you may like it or not and thats why my school lets you get out of a subject you didnt really felt passionate for in the first week. I mean, in a hypothetical case a student selected Chemistry SL but the first week he couldnt stand the teacher or he didnt liked the stuff he was going to be learning in the syllabus, so he can decide if he changes to physics or biology. Pretty risk taker because he might not like those subjects too hahahaha.

Anyways, the point is that in some schools the first week lets you change subjects you dont really want and it usually is the one in which teachers deliver the syllabus and all of those piles of paper for the students to read so even though youll not be missing a lot youre missing contact! (Sorry for the lack of apostrophees, for some reason the button stopped working haha).

ENJOY YOUR FREE WEEK!

• 3 weeks later...