Chemistry EE - Analytical Chemistry

Conan-kun

Hey all,

I've been looking for a title or research question for weeks now, but nothing seems to really grab my attention.

I wanted to do something involving metals, I started off watching CSI hoping it'll help somehow, looking at what techniques they use, focusing on spectroscopy. Then I looked into the food industry and testing focusing on trace metals, and the question that I thought was to general and also involve some Biology "Does varying the trace amount of a metal(lead) in a substance(drink) have an effect on the body" I still wanted to do something involving spectroscopy\metry but then started to lean towards toxicity and the Q "How does varying the amount of trace metals have an effect on the toxicity of an object" In addition I might not be able to do an experiment on the question.

I'd like to have some advice or thoughts on what to do. Which one sounds better? How could I focus the question more? Could you give me other or similar Question ideas.

Many thanks in Advance,

Conan-kun

haven't really read your post, only skimmed through it, but think about one thing: how would you measure toxicity? are you going to test it on an animal or something? if so, you may want to rethink about it as it might be considered unethical as it involves killing.

I don't have anything specific yet and thats my problem I think, but as I said I'm probably not going to do an experiment at all, or an experiment that involves the school lab which is not really applicable for this kind of topic. Of course I'm not going to experiment on something.

I don't really see how you can get 4k words out of this...

Increasing anything in drinks will cause an increase in toxicity. Most metals are only supposed to be taken in very small amounts (micronutrients) anyway so if you increase them by even a little it would be a huge % increase and that's going to make the drink more toxic O.o

I've also thought about that, but at the moment I really don't know what to do...maybe I'm restricting myself too much, I don't know.

I definitely want to do something involving Analytical Chemistry and using some kind of spectroscopy if possible.

Okay I rethought what to do scraping toxicity(kind of), also spoke to my mum and will speak to my teacher again tomorrow. At the moment the ideas are doing an assessment of the content of Mineral waters using spectrophotometry and sensory analysis\evaluation looking at quality, harmfulness, economic value, content of calcium and Magnesium etc.

Or Iron content in Cereals or ions in soft drinks or mineral water maybe sugar content or something similar. Lastly looking into the use of titanium oxide or zinc oxide in Sunscreens.

How are these? Could one work with these? 4k words possible?

Edited by Conan-kun