English Group 2 EE on cultural artifacts

Andres Chamorro

Hi, im doing my EE on english group 2 and i wanted to know if this research question fits well into the category of culture and society. Basically, i want to know if my question is focused enough or to vague.

My research question (for now) is:

Why has humor been a key factor for the evolution of the fictional character of the Joker from comic book to different characterizations that movies have given him.

I would be looking at what is the character (and the different versions), and why humor/laughter made him popular enough to appear again and again in movies and become one of the most memorable villians in pop culture.

thank you for your time.

What an interesting topic! I think it is a good and focused research question, but I have my doubts concerning the evidence you will have to find to support your essay. You need to have something to rely on to embark a serious investigation such an extended essay, it is not a task where you express your views with no back up. Solid evidence is key to writing a thorough investigation. You must consult this with your instructor/tutor. I'm not so sure if your topic is fully cultural based as it implies an analysis of a character who btw is not a literature character but a film one. So I'm not sure as well, whether it fits into a group 2 subject. Maybe you can try exploring something about the joker and its influences/populariy in an english speaking country society. I'm not so experienced in this matter, I'm just telling you my opinion from an objective point. You should try to contact your coordinator as well as your extended essay instructor. Good Luck! :)

• Like 1