Is it ethical to eat meat?

Guest kenshi64

I don't think that an ethical issue really exists. Whether one consumes a plant or animal, life has been snuffed out in some way or another.

Perhaps what is more important to argue is should we be eating meat. Considering human bone structure and tooth distribution, it is obvious that we evolved as omnivores - thus implying that consumption of meat is acceptable. However, the amount of meat that should be consumed is usually not given much though. Despite the obvious health benefits of meat i.e. protein, iron, Omega fatty acids etc. one must not forget that there are also equally important components in vegetables and fruits. Moreover, vegetables, fruits and other plant matter offer something that cannot be obtained from supplements - fiber.

Further, the antioxidising effect of raw fruits and vegetables has been observed on many occasions. Applying simple logic and looking back to the time of our ancestors, it would seem that vegetables and fruits would be the cours de jour and meat would be a commodity obtained perhaps bi- or tri-weekly. Thus, while I do not believe it is unethical to eat meat, I believe that for health reasons and for preserving what mankind evolved as, it seems logical to restrict consumption to levels far below those which are usually observed in the bourgeois (couldn't resist) West.

• 5 months later...

Will someone please clarify for me with valid logic why human lives are more valuable than animal ones simply because we are humans?

Also, what is everyone's opinion of hunting for meat? I would much rather eat an animal that lived a natural life in the "wild" that I've killed myself (so that I know it was as humanely done as possible) than eat an animal that came from a factory farm, where horrible things are done to them. Even worse, I can't bear to see deer that have been hit by cars and think that humane hunting is a much better alternative when it comes to death than being hit by a car, which might not kill you immediately and cause much more suffering. I say that as a person who has been in multiple car accidents involving animals and having had the unfortunate experience of having to watch a deer suffer and not being able to do anything, waiting for a police officer to come and put the poor thing out of its misery.

Please note that I am not a supporter of hunting for "fun" or to put things on a wall -- although in my house we do decorate with shed antlers.

:hunter: -- This guy looks like the bad type of hunter lol

I'm a vegetarian, and this is how I see it: There is nothing wrong with people who eat meat. Our bodies are designed to digest and process meat for nutrients; evolutionary, humans should eat meat, and it is the logical path to take.

However, my morals state that it is not ethical to take a life for personal gain, like taking the life of a cow to satisfy hunger. To all of you stating that plants are living to, and that the effect is just the same because I am taking the food from other animals, the fact remains that I have to eat something. While animals have minds of their own and can feel pain, plants can't; therefore, I don't feel so guilty about eating them. And in response to the argument of taking the food of other animals, I honestly don't think that there are enough vegetarians in the world for this to actually make a difference. I just eat more vegetables than the average person.

I don't run around town trying to convince other people to be vegetarians. I think that eating meat is a completely acceptable action. I say yes, eating meat is ethical. It is what our bodies were designed to do.

I have simply chosen not to because of personal experiences and influences.

Saying it's unethical to eat meat is like saying our ancestors were monsters and survival itself is unethical. If you're trapped in a situation where you have to hunt to survive, you won't be able to live off of berries and fruits forever (unless you're in a really nice forest where nature hands you everything on a platter). I understand that in today's world you don't have to eat meat to survive, but you have to realize that eating meat is a part of nature. There's a reason you've never seen a vegetarian lion or wolf. It really is just like calling nature and instinctive animals unethical.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course it's ethical and natural. If we weren't supposed to eat meant, our organ structure would be completely different. And if I went between lions completely stripped from anything unnatural - meaning having no clothes or anything for protection, they'd definitely eat me. Therefore I have no problems in eating meat - completely fine and natural...

• 2 weeks later...

I am an avid meat eater myself, however I do think it is beneficial to limit intake.

Humans are without doubt made to consume meat/ hunt animals. We have the classic predatory forward facing vision and more obviously teeth made for ripping flesh.

That being said how often would our ancestors have the opportunity to eat meat? It wasn't often as it took lots of work and it was hit and miss, at least during the hunter-gatherer days. Today it is possible to eat meat at every meat at every day, a luxury that did not exist in our species formative years. This luxury however also carries health risk, as we all know a diet with an excess of red meat leads to heart disease etc.

Essentially, the excuse we were made to eat meat, does not justify the amount of meat we eat today and it would be both in your interest and in the interest of society to limit the amount you eat. This is nothing new, religions across he world have had day where you are not to eat meat. Despite their lack of scientific knowledge, they had something right!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Meat is nutritious and rich in complete protein

Non-vegetarian food is a good source of excellent protein. It contains biologically complete protein i.e. all the 8 essential amino acid that are not synthesized by the body and should be supplied in the diet. Meat also contains iron, vitamin B1 and niacin.

Humans have Omnivorous set of teeth

If you observe the teeth of herbivorous animals like the cow, goat and sheep, you will find something strikingly similar in all of them. All these animals have a set of flat teeth i.e. suited for herbivorous diet. If you observe the set of teeth of the carnivorous animals like the lion, tiger or leopard, they all have a set of pointed teeth i.e. suited for a carnivorous diet. If you analyze the set of teeth of humans, you find that they have flat teeth as well as pointed teeth. Thus they have teeth suited for both herbivorous as One may ask, if Almighty God wanted humans to have only vegetables, why did He provide us also with pointed teeth? It is logical that He expected us to need and to have both vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food.

Human beings can digest both vege-tarian and non-vegetarian food

The digestive system of herbivorous animals can digest only vegetables. The digestive system of carnivorous animals can digest only meat. But the digestive system of humans can digest both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food. If Almighty God wanted us to have only vegetables then why did He give us a digestive system that can digest both vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food?

Even plants can feel pain

They further argue that plants cannot feel pain, therefore killing a plant is a lesser crime as compared to killing an animal. Today science tells us that even plants can feel pain. But the cry of the plant cannot be heard by the human being. This is due to the inability of the human ear to hear sounds that are not in the audible range i.e. 20 Hertz to 20,000 Hertz. Anything below and above this range cannot be heard by a human being. A dog can hear upto 40,000 Hertz. Thus there are silent dog whistles that have a frequency of more than 20,000 Hertz and less than 40,000 Hertz. These whistles are only heard by dogs and not by human beings. The dog recognizes the masters’ whistle and comes to the master. There was research done by a farmer in USA who invented an instrument which converted the cry of the plant so that it could be heard by human beings. He was able to realize immediately when the plant itself cried for water. Latest researches show that the plants can even feel happy and sad. It can also cry.

Cost of meat is reasonable since all aren’t non-vegetarians

I do not mind if some people are pure vegetarians. However they should not condemn non-vegetarians as ruthless. In fact if all become non-vegetarians then the present non-vegetarians would be losers since the prices of meat would rise.

HAHAHAHAHA...........

http://www.irf.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=399%3Aeating-non-vegetarian-food&catid=71%3Amost-common-questions-asked-by-non-muslim&Itemid=199

Edited by abdxyz

I can't find any other source of that study, other than the website you linked. Is there an original source?

Not saying that one is not legitimate, but it does have its biases being affiliated with a religion.
Pardon me, one last amendment. Do you mean "almighty god" as a figure of speech, or as god actually giving these features in a biblical sense?

Edited by Luka Petrovic

This is not even debatable. You need a variety of nutrients! You get them from various sources (meat + vegetables), of course, excess of anything can be harmful...and besides who in the world does not like KFC bucket full of chicken pieces?

I still believe that eating a meat is unethical because firms claims that they slaughter animals humanely but if you go to youtube you will know the real plight of the animals ( all are the undercover videos.) And in many places people believe that torturing an animal and then eating it is the sign of manhood. Well if people really spend some time with animals like cows, chickens etc you will get emotionally attached to these creatures and then you will automatically you will feel like eating veg.

• Like 1

There is no such problem as we can survive on a purely vegan diet if we made the effort. The problem is that animals have to suffer in order for us to eat meat, the question is if this is justifiable.

Actually i disagree. For example, Fish is the primary source of Iodine. Where you going to get that from? Medicines? Medicines are chemically made i.e they ain't got no enzymes in them, which can cause issues with your body...i'm not a biologist but according to my faint knowledge about Bio, there are times when you absolutely need nutrients from meat.

Edited by shad0wboss

Hey, I'm new here.

Just thought I would say my opinion on this topic.

Humans are omnivores and have eaten meat since 10000s of years. The only differense from then and now is that then, animals had more or less good lives and they were hunted. Today they are locked in cages with far to little space and mass produced.

I do eat meat, although I try not to eat to much.

If the technology of growing meat in the lab one day becomes succesfull, I would think about starting to eat that kind of meat instead.

Another problem with meat is the fact that it takes 10x as much energy to produce meat than food from plants. Is it ethical to produce food like this while a huge part of the world has serious hunger problems?

I'd never eat meat out of a lab, processed foods and GMOs are already sickening people to no end in the developing world. The last thing I would want is a steak from a test tube, I'd rather go vegetarian. The problem for most peoples lies in the frequency with which we eat meat. We were made to eat it on occasion as we did. Kills were scarce, so we lived a lot on what could be collected, even after we stabilized our foods sources through innovation in agriculture and animal husbandry, vegetables, fruits and grains made up the bulk of our diet until the mid 20th century. From then on, people began eating meat everyday, at nearly every meal, that is what is what is unethical to both us and animals. To us as it destroys our health and that our children and to the animals because the industrialization of farming their conditions have greatly deteriorated.

Something that bothers me actually is our relationship with meat, in North America people tend to be very removed. This to me, of east-european background makes very little sense. All sorts of animal parts are eaten and animals are often cooked whole. many people don't like their food to look like it was once living, or like to even touch raw meat.
If people weren't in denial about their meat, and realized that what they are eating was an animal that had feelings, thoughts and breathed like we do, people would eat less meat and it would be held to a greater value. The world begins and ends with courtesy and respect, animals even if we eat them deserve nothing less than the recognition of what was sacrificed so you could have some tasty bacon.

On a more personal level I don't think it is unethical to eat meat. Eating meat and harnessing animals is what gave our species an edge over other animals (as well as thumbs, but that a different story). That being said I also think not eating meat is a higher level of existence in a way. Being Eastern Orthodox, this is opinion is partially coloured by the monastic rule, not allowing monks to eat meat at all, and fish only on certain celebrations. This is opinion is not unique to Orthodoxy either, in other religions laymen and monastics also abstain from eating meat to be more pure spiritually, but still recognize some eat meat because they nearly have to ( try being a construction worker or a soldier and not eat meat) and are okay with it.

I'm not a fan of PETA, I'm just going to say that straight up. But I'd be glad to debate if there are any PETA supporters out there!

I still believe that eating a meat is unethical because firms claims that they slaughter animals humanely but if you go to youtube you will know the real plight of the animals ( all are the undercover videos.) And in many places people believe that torturing an animal and then eating it is the sign of manhood. Well if people really spend some time with animals like cows, chickens etc you will get emotionally attached to these creatures and then you will automatically you will feel like eating veg.

Professor Schultz and his colleague Dr. Hazim of the Hanover University, Germany, proved through an experiment, using an electroencephalograph (EEG) and electrocardiogram (ECG) that *Islamic slaughter is THE humane method of slaughter* and captive bolt stunning, practiced by the Western method, causes severe pain to the animal. The results surprised many.

Experimental Details:

1. Several electrodes were surgically implanted at various points of the skull of all animals, touching the surface of thebrain.

2. The animals were allowed to recover for several weeks.

3. Some animals were slaughtered by making a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck cutting the jugular veins and carotid Arteries of both sides; as also the trachea and esophagusHalal Method.

4. Some animals were stunned using a captive bolt pistol humane slaughter by the western method.

5. During the experiment, EEG and ECG were recorded on all animals to record the condition of the brain and heart during the course of slaughter and stunning.

Results and Discussion:

I - Halal Method

1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.

2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep - unconsciousness. This is due to a large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.

3. After the above mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.

4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving maximum blood from the body: resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.

II - Western method by C.B.P. Stunning

1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.

2. EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.

3. The hearts of the animal stunned by C.B.P. stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the animals slaughtered according to the Halal method resulting in the retention of more blood inthe meat. This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.

• Like 1

Professor Schultz and his colleague Dr. Hazim of the Hanover University, Germany, proved through an experiment, using an electroencephalograph (EEG) and electrocardiogram (ECG) that *Islamic slaughter is THE humane method of slaughter* and captive bolt stunning, practiced by the Western method, causes severe pain to the animal. The results surprised many.

Experimental Details:

1. Several electrodes were surgically implanted at various points of the skull of all animals, touching the surface of thebrain.

2. The animals were allowed to recover for several weeks.

3. Some animals were slaughtered by making a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck cutting the jugular veins and carotid Arteries of both sides; as also the trachea and esophagusHalal Method.

4. Some animals were stunned using a captive bolt pistol humane slaughter by the western method.

5. During the experiment, EEG and ECG were recorded on all animals to record the condition of the brain and heart during the course of slaughter and stunning.

Results and Discussion:

I - Halal Method

1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.

2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep - unconsciousness. This is due to a large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.

3. After the above mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.

4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving maximum blood from the body: resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.

II - Western method by C.B.P. Stunning

1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.

2. EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.

3. The hearts of the animal stunned by C.B.P. stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the animals slaughtered according to the Halal method resulting in the retention of more blood inthe meat. This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.

The Halal method may be humane according to this study, but you are taking the life of a living thing none the less. You cannot eat meat without having the death of a creature over your head. That is an unavoidable fact. It also doesn't address the issue of emotional feelings towards animals as it is still dead. Kind of off topic, but why is eating blood not halal? It is rather nutritious, just curious as to why it is forbidden.

The Halal method may be humane according to this study, but you are taking the life of a living thing none the less. You cannot eat meat without having the death of a creature over your head. That is an unavoidable fact. It also doesn't address the issue of emotional feelings towards animals as it is still dead. Kind of off topic, but why is eating blood not halal? It is rather nutritious, just curious as to why it is forbidden.

SO basically your argument is that stepping on an ant is same as hitting a person by a car, by accident. Both accidents are equally weighed?

OMG did you just say that "why is eating blood not halal"?

1. It has nothing to do with it being halal or not (I wonder if you consume blood) Because:

2.Blood not only carry nutrients but waste products as well and why would anyone digest such thing? These waste materials include: urea, uric acid, keratin and carbon dioxide. Do you want to consume those materials? then go ahead...

3. Blood is ideal for microbes to grow in so basically you'll be consuming all those microbes, found in animal's blood.

4. Hemoglobin is a complex type of protein which is indigestible by the stomach.

5. I'm no biologist but these are the reasons I know why blood shouldn't be consumed..

Also as stated by adbxyz, halal method is indeed the way one should be incising animals as it has been researched into...There's a reason behind Jews following this method of slaughtering animals as well as muslims...

An advice: Try not to argue much without proper insight on the topic and try to investigate...

Edited by shad0wboss
  • Like 1