Is it ethical to eat meat?

Guest kenshi64

Well, predators have existed before humans... So I don't see anything unethical on eating meat. Instead, I see a lot unethical on mass production, and that's why I don't eat meat when I live on my own. When I am at my parents place I eat meat occasionally, because, well, they bought pack anyway and me eating or not eating doesn't make difference. I ask if they could cook something else when I come thou, and sometimes they do,

• Like 1

Well, predators have existed before humans... So I don't see anything unethical on eating meat. Instead, I see a lot unethical on mass production, and that's why I don't eat meat when I live on my own. When I am at my parents place I eat meat occasionally, because, well, they bought pack anyway and me eating or not eating doesn't make difference. I ask if they could cook something else when I come thou, and sometimes they do,

I definitely agree with you. 

Another reason why I don't eat a lot of (red) meat is because it's not as healthy for you. For breakfast and lunch, I try to eat raw unprocessed vegetables, but I do eat a hot meal with meat for dinners.

• Like 1

I am a vegetarian not because I am against killing animals (animal cruelty is a no go though!) but rather I can not stand the texture anymore. My family never ate much meat anyway because my mum is vegetarian ... anyone else know people like this?!

It's not ethical to eat meat because we're in a world where a lot of us don't need to, to provide protein and all the other nutrients. It causes so much harm to the environment as it is responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions, which is more than the combined exhaust from all transportation on the planet. Eating meat can cause cancer, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart disease. I know some people who used either a plant-based or raw plant-based diet to treat their terminal cancer (which the doctors wouldn't give them any treatment because apparently it was too fatal). Cowspiracy is a good documentary for the environmental side of it, Earthlings is a good documentary for the ethical side and uprooting the leading causes of death is a good talk for the health side of it. Furthermore back to the ethical part I see no ethical values of killing or harming other living beings just for what? You're tastebuds? There is no need whatsoever as there are plenty plant-based products that have the texture and sometimes taste like meat. One hamburger uses 660 gallons of water to make because in order keep the cattle alive they need to be kept fed, hydrated and also their waste is making a lot of the 'deadzones' in oceans. If you think about it a fully plant-based diet uses less plants than that with meat in it. This is because of all the feed used to keep the animals alive. In the US alone growing feed for livestock uses 56% of the consumption of water. 477 gallons of water are required to produce 1lb. of eggs; almost 900 gallons of water are needed for 11lb. of cheese.

"The truth is that all the nutrients we need can be obtained from plant foods. Moreover, these plant-derived nutrients are often available in greater abundance and are more readily absorbed in the system than are nutrients obtained from animal products. Too, they have the advantage of being without the harmful health effects that nutritionists are now attributing to our consumption of animal products. For vegans with special dietary needs, fortified foods and supplements can further reinforce their needs.

Our closest primate relatives, chimpanzees, are considered omnivores. Yet despite the fact that chimpanzees have huge, pointed canine teeth designed for tearing flesh, only a tiny percentage of their diet is the flesh of other animals and some insects. (2) Dale Peterson, one of the world’s leading chimpanzee researchers, once mentioned to me that he believes chimps given the opportunity to satisfy their hunger with plant sources may very well ponder the morality of eating other animals."

• Like 2

Thats a very interesting debate, one that is more likely to go unresolved forever. My personal opinion, as a Christian, is that it says in the Bible that God gave us all the animals to eat, so I'll eat them.

I don't know where i heard this from, but i remember someone once telling me that in Christianity, God apparently said that when there was hardly any food to go around, perhaps like a famine of crops and thats why He said that... but that originally we were meant to eat veggies and nuts etc

I don't know for sure though as I am not christian and have not read the bible... but i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this.

What you're refering to is before man got kicked out of the Garden of Eden. Anyway, heres the thing I was talking about:

Acts 10:9-23

About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.â€

14 â€œSurely not, Lord!†Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.â€

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.â€

16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

17 While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon’s house was and stopped at the gate. 18 They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.

19 While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Simon, three[a] men are looking for you. 20 So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them.â€

21 Peter went down and said to the men, “I’m the one you’re looking for. Why have you come?â€

22 The men replied, “We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say.†23 Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests.

What denomination of christianity do you belong to? It differs from group to group. 

That would be Assembly of God

I believe that we shouldn't bring religion into this argument but more so the facts and figures. Google the affect of animal agriculture on the environment, youtube 'uprooting the leading causes of death' for the health reasons to go to a fully plant-based diet and watch Earthlings on youtube for more info on the industries. 

Furthermore back to the ethical part I see no ethical values of killing or harming other living beings just for what? You're tastebuds? There is no need whatsoever as there are plenty plant-based products that have the texture and sometimes taste like meat. 

Plants are living sentient beings too.

Non-human animals can connect with humans on a higher level than plants, pigs are more intelligent than 2-year old humans but also your argument is flawed as by eating meat you use more plants

Edited by laurentjane
  • Like 1

Non-human animals can connect with humans on a higher level than plants, pigs are more intelligent than 2-year old humans but also your argument is flawed as by eating meat you use more plants

I'm not arguing that we should stop eating plants because it is just as unethical as eating meat, I'm suggesting that we shouldn't discriminate against species. I find it interesting how people will protest on the streets to put a stop to eating meat, while they won't hesitate to slap a mosquito or swat a fly.

But I agree with you in that it is unethical to eat meat from an environmental perspective. I, myself, only eat one meal per day with meat, the rest are vegetables. Not only is this diet healthier, but it is also better for the environment. 

• Like 1

I'm not arguing that we should stop eating plants because it is just as unethical as eating meat, I'm suggesting that we shouldn't discriminate against species. I find it interesting how people will protest on the streets to put a stop to eating meat, while they won't hesitate to slap a mosquito or swat a fly.

But I agree with you in that it is unethical to eat meat from an environmental perspective. I, myself, only eat one meal per day with meat, the rest are vegetables. Not only is this diet healthier, but it is also better for the environment. 

Yes I agree with you there, except that it's contradictory saying about speciesism (discriminating against species) but then saying you still eat meat and I'm guessing you eat dairy and eggs too? The dairy industry is horrendous for the suffering and pain caused as from buying dairy you also support the veal industry, with the egg industry you support the mass killing of baby male chicks that are either grinded up or suffocated in a bag.

I think historically in particular geographic locations in the world eating meat will have been crucial, like my Northern home of Finland. Winters can be extremely cold and land unusable for farming. Proper storage of farmed produce was essential, and complemented by any possible acquired meat. This by no means meant meat was on the table every day though...

However, considering the technological progress of society, and the scientific research revealing the negative health implications of a diet rich in animal products (Think the China study), not to mention the unsustainable environmental impact of feeding an ever growing population on a standard western diet, NO I believe it is not ethical to eat meat or other animal products in this day and age. As mentioned above, we can get all our necessary nutrients from a whole food, plant-based diet. 

The meat and dairy industry holds unbelievable leverage and political influence in most Western countries, and spends millions if not billions on white washing the reality of slaughter houses among other cruel practices, instead marketing this idyllic small scale farm image with happy animals. Due to this, the government, especially in the U.S. subsidises the production of animal products, which leads to cheaper prices for junk food than fresh produce, unfortunately. I find the commodification of meat, packaged neatly in plastic containers on supermarket shelves along with the powerful marketing is so far removed from the reality, it sickens me. I think few people who eat meat would actually be willing to watch, let alone execute the slaughtering of an animal. Most of us sympathise with pet animals, and with farm animals as well. People find animal abuse disturbing, yet purchase animal products. I find this comparable to people condemning exploitation of workers in developing countries, yet not being too bothered by purchasing the products manufactured by them. There is such a large gap between what we consume and see, and what happens behind the scenes. We want the best of both worlds, yet humane and slaughter are oxymoronic, yet social conditioning leads many to believe the whole practice is ethical. 

• Like 1

The meat and dairy industry holds unbelievable leverage and political influence in most Western countries, and spends millions if not billions on white washing the reality of slaughter houses among other cruel practices, instead marketing this idyllic small scale farm image with happy animals. Due to this, the government, especially in the U.S. subsidises the production of animal products, which leads to cheaper prices for junk food than fresh produce, unfortunately. 

In Canada, we have what's called "Canada's food guide". It is basically a guide that suggests the optimum diet for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Even though meat alternatives is healthier and better for the environment, the government has to include red meat on the guide because of the influence of the cattle industry. Since most of the economy in the Central region is based on cattle and livestock, removing red meat from the guide would also mean that the politician would lose the vote. 

I really dislike it when politics interfere with ethics.

• Like 1

I haven't eaten meat (other than fish) in four or five years––I stopped because I started a nature kid phase where I fell in love with plants and animals and went around barefoot and had always romanticized vegetarianism, but I have never been that vegetarian who condemns others. It's my choice: but you know, the funny thing is, if you're not the one shaming others, you get shamed. I can't tell you how many different people, strangers, friends, or family have tried to turn me, and have gone on and on about how I'm being dumb, saying 'plants have feelings too' and getting on the defensive––just because I ask "is there meat in X food?" in a restaurant. I don't even identify with 'pescetarian', and yet people give me crap about choosing not to eat meat. My reasoning has changed over time, though, I'm against factory farming (environmental reasons + the terrible conditions), and if the habit wasn't as strong, I'd probably eat meat if I knew where it came from. 

• Like 2

(I'd just like to ask a  dumb question. Not stating my opinion. But plants are living things as well. If the world were to go vegetarian, would you advocate not eating plants as well?)

I think there are two parts to the question "Is it ethical to eat meat". One part challenges the morals of killing animals and eating them. The other component is the morals behind supporting the meat industry by eating meat. Addressing the first part of this discussion, perhaps people will advocate for plant rights, but I don't think it is very likely; we have to eat something after all. Now, addressing the second part of this discussion, I would argue that plant farming is more humane and environment friendly than animal farming. Therefore, I don't imagine that many people will advocate not eating plants.

• Like 1

I definitely see it as unethical to eat meat, especially if one has the means to do otherwise. One cannot claim that the animal did not suffer to get meat, it's essentially inarguable in the US meat & dairy industry. We're abusing these sentient beings for self-pleasure. Even if one has to eat meat to live healthfully, for example in a very low income family, that does not make it ethical. It makes it necessary, which is different. Animals are not ours to consume, we're here to coexist. I sound a little hippy-dippy, but I believe it 100%. 

I haven't eaten meat (other than fish) in four or five years––I stopped because I started a nature kid phase where I fell in love with plants and animals and went around barefoot and had always romanticized vegetarianism, but I have never been that vegetarian who condemns others. It's my choice: but you know, the funny thing is, if you're not the one shaming others, you get shamed. I can't tell you how many different people, strangers, friends, or family have tried to turn me, and have gone on and on about how I'm being dumb, saying 'plants have feelings too' and getting on the defensive––just because I ask "is there meat in X food?" in a restaurant. I don't even identify with 'pescetarian', and yet people give me crap about choosing not to eat meat. My reasoning has changed over time, though, I'm against factory farming (environmental reasons + the terrible conditions), and if the habit wasn't as strong, I'd probably eat meat if I knew where it came from. 

This does happen a lot. My former post sounds like I judge others for their choice to consume meat but I never in people's face about it. I voice how I feel, only if someone asks, and move on with my life. I get a lot of people saying very rude/hurtful things, threatening to put meat in my food and constantly making jokes about the meat they're eating. It's strange. 

• Like 1

Animals are not ours to consume, we're here to coexist. 

But humans are omnivores -- we are biologically wired to eat meat. And we are coexisting, perhaps even mutually beneficially. Pigs and cattle cannot in the wild on their own, and even if they do, they pose a threat to the pre-existing ecosystem. In return, we harvest the meat and other products of these animals for our use. 

Animals are not ours to consume, we're here to coexist. 

But humans are omnivores -- we are biologically wired to eat meat. And we are coexisting, perhaps even mutually beneficially. Pigs and cattle cannot in the wild on their own, and even if they do, they pose a threat to the pre-existing ecosystem. In return, we harvest the meat and other products of these animals for our use. 

Well, our physical traits certainly don't make us ideally predisposed to eating meat.  Our lack of claws, our flat and dull teeth, jaw with horizontal movement and proportionally long digestive tract make our bodies more apt at processing a mainly plant-based diet. 

Can and do humans consume meat? Yes, but mostly only a select few cuts of meat, and requiring thorough cooking and use of spices to be edible and appealing. Animals that are truly biologically wired to eat meat have the physical traits to hunt, kill and eat everything off the carcass raw, indiscriminatingly, fur, skin, organs and all. Thus, I would argue that saying we are biologically wired to eat meat is an exaggeration. 

And your point about artificially and industrially farming billions of farm animals in unnatural conditions annually being somehow 'beneficial' to the respective species, that's just absurd. 

Edited by OMGIBISFUN
  • Like 2