what do you think of the combination?too easy for good unis?

rsa academic

hello guys...

i am hoping to apply to bath,southampton,ucl, or bristol or imperial for engineering..

next year i am taking

HL maths physics English B

SL Slovene A1, phylosophy, spanish B/french B/french ab initio

i havent got a clue about franch but i speak 4 languages so i think learning it should not be the biggest problem..has anybody done the language B SL and never done it before doing the IB?

apart from that what would you think of my combination for the universities listed above?i am aiming to get a high score so...would it look too easy or not enough...

anything much of help

Though I know someone who took philosophy and Italian Ab Initio and got an offer from cambridge and is going to UCL, so I don't think they'll look down on it there's worse subjects. And also you're HL are very challenging; well math and physics are. I think it is a very good subject combination, especially if you're wanting to do engineering. :)

Guest Soiboist

You're fine as long as you satisfy the other requirements, which I suppose are usually Maths and Physics to HL or Maths and another science to HL or similar. Universities in the UK don't really mind your SL subjects unless relevant, so given that you satisfy the entry requirements, I think you should really pick subjects that you enjoy the most and thus will give you the highest overall score.

You should definitely not do French B SL if you never have taken it before; it is designed for students with 2-4 years of experience of the particular language. Ab initio is for students with up to one year of experience, so it is clearly directed towards students as yourself. Don't worry about universities considering it soft, it's a bit of a myth I reckon, and perhaps more true for learning institutions on the opposite side of the Atlantic. ;)

Unis in the UK are very subject-specific, and generally for HLs specifically. I did notice however that right now you have three languages including English, which is very redundant for a future Engineering student. While Maths and Physics HL are the cornerstones for Engineering (I imagine), you would do yourself a service by dropping either Slovene A1 or French/Spanish and taking another science, preferably Chemistry, at HL.

Since you mentioned that you want to go to a great Uni and I did see UCL in your list, this might benefit you. Everybody from my batch who has gone into Engineering were encouraged to take a combination of Maths, Physics, and Chemistry HL. Admittedly, this is a difficult endeavour, but it is what they did, and two of my friends who succeeded with these subjects ended up going to Stanford and MIT, after rejecting Cambridge and Oxford respectively. You might want to take that into account.

However, I do believe that in any event Maths and Physics HL should secure you quite well if you decide to pursue Engineering.

if you have philosophy and language ab initio universities might think that you are taking easy subjects.

I don't agree with that. I had Environmental Systems SL which is one of the "softer" sciences and French Ab Initio as two of my standard subjects, I still got offers from all my Unis including LSE and King's and an interview from Oxford. UK Unis care only for your HLs and when you've taken Maths and Physics HL, nobody will attest that you've taken a light load.

Best of luck,

Arrowhead.

• Like 1