IB school supplies

Guest Humaira

Guest Humaira

what school supplies do you use on a regular basis? for example should i get 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch binders?

courses im taking in DP 1:

English

French the whole year

HL biology

HL chemistry

history canada and the world

SL math

TOK

English: 1" binder should be fine unless you keep EVERYTHING. I saw no reason in keeping my commentaries from IB1 because they just sucked and my IB2 ones wear better reference if that's why you keep them. Highlighters if you want, tabs, pencils to write in the book maybe, stuff for marking up books :D

French: Dictionary. Get one. Do it. Now. And use it, find new words and use them over and over, just look through and find cool stuff to use :D One inch binder will be nice too.

HL Bio: If you're teacher is like mine and gives out handouts all the time...2in binder, if not, 1in will work. Get a notebook, not a small little one get a big ol' notebook and you can do the objectives or take notes and all that good stuff. HL Bio is content packed so be prepared to hoard your notes.

HL Chem: I personally filled a 2in binder and then another 1.5in binder...just sayin'. And use pencils...my chem teacher hated me for using pen because my work was...well lets just say it was harder to decipher than it was to work the problem :D

History: 2in binder I would think, unless you want a notebook for notes then a one inch binder would work for keeping essays and stuff.

SL Math: I took math studies...I didn't need anything but a pen honestly...but you'll need a notebook for notes and of course a calculator (TI-84plus works good, TI-89 (is this the one IB doesn't let you use? I forget) is great as well. There's also that nSpire work of beauty that has the interface change out so you can have multiple calculator types...but not really...if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Have any of your teachers suggested anything???....

English: If you do anything on your computer, make sure you keep your folders all organized!! Hard copies are great, too, especially if you're into highlighting stuff :) And as Drake suggested, your IB2 stuff might hold more value since your work resembles more IB-like work :)

French the whole year: Anything to do with any language courses, I think, requires at least a 1" binder. Especially if your teacher likes to give out many hand-outs! A dictionary can be handy... THESAURUS (Synonyme) dictionaries are a MUST! But, if you're gonna be on your computer a whole lot... then :)

HL biology: Anything science/group 4 requires a thicker binder, I think. Keep your notes in order, don't loose anything! Keep tabs with your notebook and mark any references you made throughout the year beside that same section/chapter in your notes! Just to help you stay organized :) OH!!! Pencils and Erasers!!

HL chemistry: Once again, a thicker binder. Keep all your notes in once spot, and stay organized. If you use a loose leaf, then make sure you put down a title, and maybe even a date if you date all of you work. (And of course, your name/last name!!!)

history canada and the world:I find that history requires a lot of note-taking. Have many pens (I think we're at that stage in our life where we should be using pens for note-taking) of different colours handy. Highlighters work, too, if you are a colour-oriented person :) Sticky notes for your textbook also works, so that you don't write in it! (Also, if your teacher mentions something that is not written in her/his given notes, mark it down... it may be important! Then do some research on your own time and/or ask your teacher for further information later on, or even in class).

SL math: Have lots of paper. Paper/notebook/graphing paper/binder... An IB-approved calculator--> I don't think that the TI-89 is allowed... I'm pretty sure of that. (note that if you decide to go to University, they won't allow you, from my understanding, to have a graphing calculator, so don't spend an outrageous amount for it).PENCILS AND ERASERS!!! I know of a friend who marks her work in pen... so if you do, don't waste your time with liquid white-out, just get some of that white tape-stuff :)

TOK : I got TONS of hand outs, last year, so make sure that you're extra organized in this class. Also, these are hand outs usually recommended at TOK seminars, so they should be of some value to you. Keep all of your essays and notes for future reference. And always stay awake, if your teacher actually teaches you something. Do your best to like it, even if you really don't :) It'll help you get a better mark in this class.

Your attitude always counts :)

Hope this helps!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

what school supplies do you use on a regular basis? for example should i get 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch binders?

courses im taking in DP 1:

English

French the whole year

HL biology

HL chemistry

history canada and the world

SL math

TOK

English: Not many notes, 1in binder is fine

French: Same, 1in for 1 semester, I think that 1 1/2in should do for the whole year.

HL Bio: Oh man, 2in binder for sure, lots of content.

HL Chem: ....from my experience, 3in binder if you can.

History: Never took it, but I think a 2in binder would be good

SL Math: Honestly, a 1in binder should do, with room to spare

TOK: A 1 1/2in binder should do.

Also, for supplies, buy an an english dictionary, a french-english dictionary, and something called a bescherelle (has conjugations for 12000 verbs, HIGHLY useful), and also some notebooks if you prefer have your notes bound as opposed to loose sheets of lined paper.

Also, make SURE you invest in good quality pens and pencils. Stay AWAY from gel pens, don't get pens that bleed, make sure they write smoothly, and when using pencils for diagrams, charts, etc, make sure they aren't cheap pencils that snap easily.