two part question?

IB 2012

You might lose marks for this because each of these topics are very vast and very different. Sure one is a consequence of the other, but it shows a lack of focus in the question. You need to show what is the main thrust of your argument in your question and it will become very difficult to do your research justice (assuming you do it well), if the essay question covers different problems that need to be measured. I would go ahead and say that in answering the question "to what extent do doctors discriminate in prices in Berlin?" would inevitably lead to an answer to the second question. One of your responses to the question could be a patient of average income pays X euros, a person below the poverty line pays Y, a person below average income pays X, and a person above average income pays Z, this shows the extent to which price discrimination has affected Berlin in medicine.

• Like 1

thanks for your help!!!

but the problem is that I am not sure I can write 4000 words just on the question "to what extent ..."

do you think it would be possible to say: "how does price discrimination practiced by doctors affect the treatment of the average patient in Berlin?" and still analyze at the beginning a bit the conditions that are necessary for price discrimination to take place and see whether they apply to doctors or would that be of topic then?

You would be surprised that after doing all your research how difficult it will be to limit yourself to 4,000 words. Why don't you do the research, all of it, find every last page and sentence and survey that is even remotely related to your topic, and then write a solid outline? Once you've written and consolidated your outline, start writing your essay and keep going until you've incorporated everything you have. If you do all of this with determination and hard work, I find it hard to believe that you will have anything less than 4,000 words.

Your research question will keep changing over and over again as you write your essay. I know mine did. When I started my EE, my research question was vast, but as I went on researching and writing, it narrowed itself down. Don't bother too much with the semantics in the beginning. Frankly, I thought that people who were fretting on the words in their topic sentence were the worst kind of procrastinators (no offense to you), because all they did was moan and complain about how they couldn't get the "perfect" topic, and they were so intent to find that "perfect" topic that they kept delaying doing the actual research and work they needed to do. So that's my advice, find everything you need, and write an outline, the topic will stream-line itself in actual words as you do so.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 1