Where are good places to find primary historical sources?

Emmi

I'm in the research phase of writing my EE in history. I have no problem finding secondary sources for my topic (Spanish Civil War) through the internet and the local library, but I am having problems finding primary documents. Does anyone know of any databases, sites, etc. that actually contain good primary sources? I've tried several by googling but they don't have much. Thanks!

P.S. not sure if this falls under history or EE but I put it in history because it's history-related.

For historical events that occurred quite a while ago, the best way to find primary sources is within secondary sources.

For example, find some really long and good scholarly articles related to your topic or the Spanish Civil War in general on JSTOR or QUESTIA or some such, within these articles, you will find a number of primary sources and a surprisingly interesting analysis of said sources already available to you. The Harvard database is amazing for this, all of us used to access the library portion and find a bunch of articles related to our topics. Primary sources have been found and analysed to the very last letter in these articles so it makes life a lot easier.

Cheers!

Arrowhead.

• Like 1